Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: GNOME Shell Lands App Folders System

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,351

    Default GNOME Shell Lands App Folders System

    Phoronix: GNOME Shell Lands App Folders System

    Updates to GNOME Shell and Mutter have been released for this week's GNOME 3.11.4 development build in the road to GNOME 3.12...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3MzA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    41

    Default App Folders

    Is there any description of this new app folders system? whats different from before?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by You- View Post
    Is there any description of this new app folders system? whats different from before?
    http://worldofgnome.org/gsettings-3-...lders-support/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    I usually don't say nice things about gnome, but this one actually has the appearance of being halfway decent. The old approach with the .desktop files shoved into various different trees was pretty nightmarish. I just hope that this new approach allows for nested directories of unlimited depth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    I usually don't say nice things about gnome, but this one actually has the appearance of being halfway decent. The old approach with the .desktop files shoved into various different trees was pretty nightmarish. I just hope that this new approach allows for nested directories of unlimited depth.
    except trashing it up with the rest of icons is the worst possible implementation. truth be told, i did not expect anything better than worst possible from people who drive gnome-shell interface.

    thank god for extensions. if extensions weren't there gnome-shell would be insufferable long ago. but, that is what you get when coders who self proclaim them selves as UI experience designers know better than users. whole gnome "we know better" took me to the point where i'll leave fedora for 1st time since it started. not far though, https://kororaproject.org/discover/cinnamon

    if i only knew this existed, i'd be gone at 18 or so. this way i get to keep fedora with good parts of gnome and get rid of improve gnome-shell&nautilus lunacy, which is progressing the same as throwing atom bombs in order to save the problem of radiation

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    except trashing it up with the rest of icons is the worst possible implementation. truth be told, i did not expect anything better than worst possible from people who drive gnome-shell interface.
    Well the mess-approach was what they were threatening to do, what this is, is a return to an organized approach (clearly, they were alienating too many customers with the mess), without implementing the complete insanity of .desktop files.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •