Thread: KDE 4.12.1 Applications & Platforms Updated

Default KDE 4.12.1 Applications & Platforms Updated

Phoronix: KDE 4.12.1 Applications & Platforms Updated

KDE developers have unleashed their first monthly stable point release in the KDE 4.12 series that contains the latest applications and platform work in the pre-Qt5 pre-Frameworks5 world...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3MTg

I'm just curious but do these bug fixes affect future releases? I find KDE fairly usable, so I'd rather them get the next generation stuff out the door sooner than patch up something that will just be obsolete. But, if the bug fixes apply to Plasma 2 and Frameworks 5, then by all means continue with them.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm just curious but do these bug fixes affect future releases? I find KDE fairly usable, so I'd rather them get the next generation stuff out the door sooner than patch up something that will just be obsolete. But, if the bug fixes apply to Plasma 2 and Frameworks 5, then by all means continue with them.
    Yes they do. These are mostly application bugfixes, and the applications will stay largely the same on KF5 (or slowly migrate to Qt5, but that's just one part of the program functionality, all other bug fixes still apply).

Plasma will stay at 4.11 to concentrate on 5.x. KDE 4.12 only applies to applications, like Dolphin etc.

Btw. Martin said that KDE Plasma 4.11.5 integrated GLX Buffer Age support which will improve performance with the proprietary drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Plasma will stay at 4.11 to concentrate on 5.x. KDE 4.12 only applies to applications, like Dolphin etc.

Btw. Martin said that KDE Plasma 4.11.5 integrated GLX Buffer Age support which will improve performance with the proprietary drivers.
    Well, it will improve performance for any driver that implements it, and currently that is (AFAIK) only the NVidia driver. If the Catalyst/Mesa drivers implemented it, they would get the boost, too. That said, I didn't notice really any difference on my Nvidia desktop after upgrading to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Well, it will improve performance for any driver that implements it, and currently that is (AFAIK) only the NVidia driver. If the Catalyst/Mesa drivers implemented it, they would get the boost, too. That said, I didn't notice really any difference on my Nvidia desktop after upgrading to it.
    If you are playing in full screen and/or have compositing disabled, there will be no change.

Catalyst implemented it half a year ago.

I think Mesa 10 has it, but only for EGL/Wayland support, not X.

If Michael would write properly and not call that think “KDE 4.12”, it would be obvious that this release does not include Plasma Workspaces…