Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMW 0.28 Gets Combat AI, Vampirism

Phoronix: OpenMW 0.28 Gets Combat AI, Vampirism

Version 0.28 is now available of the open-source engine implementation for Elderscrolls III: Morrowind...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Vampirism?

What is vampirism in the context of Morrowind?

Comment

I've been following OpenMW for quite a while and they are getting really close to getting version 1 out.

The only major things left are ai, disease, facial expressions and various bug fixes.

I would be very surprised if they didn't release version 1.0 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        What is vampirism in the context of Morrowind?
        It is a disease you can contract in the game, that left untreated will turn you into a vampire. They have implemented disease in game but not the method of contracting them.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
          I've been following OpenMW for quite a while and they are getting really close to getting version 1 out.

The only major things left are ai, disease, facial expressions and various bug fixes.

I would be very surprised if they didn't release version 1.0 this year.
          Hopefully after that, they can fork their codebase and start on remaking Oblivion and Skyrim. Apparently the engines are all very similar, and share model, archive, and character formats. They have already stated they can't remake the two sequels within a Morrowind setting, but they can fork the engine and start reimplementing the two games.

Comment

I didn't know about that, I will check it out

Is there any plan to implement a skyrim clone? how close are they to the original?

Comment

Ok. OpenMW goal is to recreate the morrowind game engine. They almost have it done.
              They are also working heavily on tools for modding and creating new content for the game engine.

They have stated after achieving 1.0 they will start adding additional features/capabilities to the game engine so that modders can do stuff that wasn't possible in the original morrowind game engine.

So in theory, a person/group could use the game engine to create a rpg like morrowind.

Comment

Ok. OpenMW goal is to recreate the morrowind game engine. They almost have it done.
                They are also working heavily on tools for modding and creating new content for the game engine.

They have stated after achieving 1.0 they will start adding additional features/capabilities to the game engine so that modders can do stuff that wasn't possible in the original morrowind game engine.

So in theory, a person/group could use the game engine to create a rpg like morrowind.
                That is very neat but if memory serves me right, you have to use your own models, so in the context of OpenMW you still need a game license to be able to play the game even though the engine is a clean-room open-source implementation. Still, great starting point.

Comment

Yes. If you wanted to create an rpg for sale you won't be able to use the morriwind game assets.

Comment

Yes. If you wanted to create an rpg for sale you won't be able to use the morriwind game assets.
                    In addition to this, they actually got blessing from Bethesda. But they were strictly told not to make mods that blended Morrowind and Oblivion or Skyrim together. They are allowed to re-implement any Bethesda engine they want as open source. But they are not to blend the games. The games are individual works of art and their integrity is not to be infringed. So the codebase can be forked into OpenOblivion and OpenSkyrim, but you can't make a mod that lets you play from Morrowind to Skyrim.

Comment

Working...
                    X