Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: OpenMW 0.28 Gets Combat AI, Vampirism

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,424

    Default OpenMW 0.28 Gets Combat AI, Vampirism

    Phoronix: OpenMW 0.28 Gets Combat AI, Vampirism

    Version 0.28 is now available of the open-source engine implementation for Elderscrolls III: Morrowind...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3MTU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Vampirism?

    What is vampirism in the context of Morrowind?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I've been following OpenMW for quite a while and they are getting really close to getting version 1 out.

    The only major things left are ai, disease, facial expressions and various bug fixes.

    I would be very surprised if they didn't release version 1.0 this year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    What is vampirism in the context of Morrowind?
    It is a disease you can contract in the game, that left untreated will turn you into a vampire. They have implemented disease in game but not the method of contracting them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    I've been following OpenMW for quite a while and they are getting really close to getting version 1 out.

    The only major things left are ai, disease, facial expressions and various bug fixes.

    I would be very surprised if they didn't release version 1.0 this year.
    Hopefully after that, they can fork their codebase and start on remaking Oblivion and Skyrim. Apparently the engines are all very similar, and share model, archive, and character formats. They have already stated they can't remake the two sequels within a Morrowind setting, but they can fork the engine and start reimplementing the two games.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    112

    Default

    I didn't know about that, I will check it out

    Is there any plan to implement a skyrim clone? how close are they to the original?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Ok. OpenMW goal is to recreate the morrowind game engine. They almost have it done.
    They are also working heavily on tools for modding and creating new content for the game engine.

    They have stated after achieving 1.0 they will start adding additional features/capabilities to the game engine so that modders can do stuff that wasn't possible in the original morrowind game engine.

    So in theory, a person/group could use the game engine to create a rpg like morrowind.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    Ok. OpenMW goal is to recreate the morrowind game engine. They almost have it done.
    They are also working heavily on tools for modding and creating new content for the game engine.

    They have stated after achieving 1.0 they will start adding additional features/capabilities to the game engine so that modders can do stuff that wasn't possible in the original morrowind game engine.

    So in theory, a person/group could use the game engine to create a rpg like morrowind.
    That is very neat but if memory serves me right, you have to use your own models, so in the context of OpenMW you still need a game license to be able to play the game even though the engine is a clean-room open-source implementation. Still, great starting point.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Yes. If you wanted to create an rpg for sale you won't be able to use the morriwind game assets.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    Yes. If you wanted to create an rpg for sale you won't be able to use the morriwind game assets.
    In addition to this, they actually got blessing from Bethesda. But they were strictly told not to make mods that blended Morrowind and Oblivion or Skyrim together. They are allowed to re-implement any Bethesda engine they want as open source. But they are not to blend the games. The games are individual works of art and their integrity is not to be infringed. So the codebase can be forked into OpenOblivion and OpenSkyrim, but you can't make a mod that lets you play from Morrowind to Skyrim.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •