Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD A10-7850K Kaveri: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: AMD A10-7850K Kaveri: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Aside from sharing the Linux overview of AMD's A10-7850K "Kaveri" APU on Linux, for your viewing pleasure today I also have out some early OpenGL graphics benchmarks comparing the performance of the A10-7850K APU under Microsoft Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu Linux in its current 14.04 development form. These tests are a precursor to many more interesting AMD Kaveri benchmarks in the coming days.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Same day support finally!

Comment

How does it compare in aspects other than frames-per-second? Does it have the screen tearing problems that plague AMD on Linux?

Also, is it possible to measure other performance aspects not specific to GPU. For example, how long did these games take to start on each platform? How much memory did they use? How badly is the game affected when running something in the background?

Comment

It's really saying something when Linux and Windows are neck and neck in performance.

Comment

Interesting that the new Catalyst driver is offering basically the same FPS as Windows on a GCN device!

Would be nice to see this driver tried on the R9 290 to see if it brings it in line with Windows performance as well?

Comment

Would be nice to see those drivers and GPUs tested with real games (those actually played by most players) like Dota 2, TF2, CS:S, L4D2 and other more demanding games like Serious Sam 3 or Metro Last Light.

For example with my 7770 (13.11v9.95 and 13.12 drivers) I'm getting 27fps under Ubuntu 13.10 and 80fps under Win8.1 in exactly same scenario (same settings, same camera position etc), while Unigine Benchmarks give me pretty much similar performance on both systems.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
              Would be nice to see those drivers and GPUs tested with real games (those actually played by most players) like Dota 2, TF2, CS:S, L4D2 and other more demanding games like Serious Sam 3 or Metro Last Light.
              Ugh.... See: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTUyNTU
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Maybe you should make that your landing page for phoronix.com so these requests finally stop.

Comment

It would be cool to see the 6800K vs 7850k with either the 7850k OC'd to the 6800k clock or vice-versa.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Maybe you should make that your landing page for phoronix.com so these requests finally stop.
                    Or maybe stop benchmarking irrelevant for Linux gaming apps and games, but focus on things that matter - games I've mentioned earlier. For maybe 20 irrelevant tests we get 1 that makes sense, kinda stupid if you ask me.

Windows tests always have most popular and most demanding games in them and maybe one artificial benchmark (like 3D Mark). It's like Linux has only open source, Opengl 2.0 (at best) Quake clones and a few benchmarks from a company no one cares about and which are using game engine no one else is using.

Not that I don't appreciate Michael's work, but all those tests do not represent real state of GPUs and drivers under Linux.

There is also huge difference between putting results at main page with and digging through Phoronix depths to find something usefull.
                    Last edited by gutigen; 14 January 2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X