Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Updated Catalyst Linux Driver Now Available

Phoronix: AMD's Updated Catalyst Linux Driver Now Available

A few hours ago I wrote that AMD would release a new Catalyst Linux driver today and now they've delivered in having same-day AMD Kaveri Linux graphics support when using their binary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to know.
    Also, excellent that they went over themself and shipped you a sample. This is excellent.
    But the opensource is still never ready upon release, architecture after architecture. Intel catched up here looong ago. I wish they abandon stupid Catalyst!

I guess one can write that off to the fact they are not as big as before, but they recently released 9590 CPU and guess what - it consumes so much current, one can power TWO Intel 4770 or 1245v3 Xeons of it. Xeons and desktop also cost same and roughtly equal to 9590. Sucks... :/ But could be worse.

Good thing is that Intel competition has various artificial limitations, that reminds one of not trusting anyone.
    Last edited by brosis; 14 January 2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

does it work with xorg 1.15 yet?

Comment

No, it doesn't. Come on AMD, it can't be that difficult considering Nvidia already does it -.-
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          No, it doesn't. Come on AMD, it can't be that difficult considering Nvidia already does it -.-
          yah. i've switched to radeonsi, i found that i can make my window manager resize windows opaquely so it's kind of usable, as long as i don't run gtkperf, then my desktop gets completely unresponsive as soon as gets to the lines test.

if i could i'd use intel onboard video, but alas i'm using 1440p dvi-d monitors that onboard video can't support (one on each computer, mostly amd video cards only support one dual-link dvi too)

Comment

So this is basically 13.12 with support for the newer GPUs? In other words, the beta version is better if running Steam games?

Comment

Hi

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but it is not clear.
              Does this release suppport all the previously supported hardware? On the link phoronix provided it only states :
              Supported Products:

AMD A10-7850K Desktop APU with AMD Radeon R7 Series graphics
              AMD A10-7700K Desktop APU with AMD Radeon R5 Series graphics

is this the changelog?

Comment

Originally posted by LacerdaPT View Post
                Hi

Does this release suppport all the previously supported hardware? On the link phoronix provided it only states :
                Supported Products:

is this the changelog?
                It sounds more like a typo... The R5 series mostly consist of pre-GCN cards, so they should have been supported before that.

Comment

Originally posted by LacerdaPT View Post
                  Hi

Supported Products:

is this the changelog?
                  It supports previous hardware too (works fine on my 7850 and 7660G + 7670M).

Comment

Working...
                  X