Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Is Still Operating At A Significant Loss

Phoronix: Canonical Is Still Operating At A Significant Loss

Canonical, the legal entity around Ubuntu Linux, is still operating at a loss of millions of dollars each year. Making the rounds on the Internet this morning is Canonical's UK financial report for the 2013 fiscal year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think they will manage to get positive once the new stack is fully ready in 2015.

If I'm wrong, I hope Valve just buys them or starts their own desktop OS. Valve depends on a good desktop system for its userbase and Valve right now does not see or recommend SteamOS for that usecase, it's explicity for the living room.

Comment

Their own Mobile OS is currently live on Chinese smartphones (some Phoronix articles on this topic but more on other sites). I suppose the OEM Chinese deal bought them / will bring them some extra coins. I am pretty curious how the Ubuntu Phone is working, the tech specs are quite awesome but i can only hope i would manage to lay my greedy hands on one of them soon.

Best,
      a,

Comment

Originally posted by middy
        If they didn't have to hire extra developers to fork gnome shell, mir, and create things like upstart and their own store and rather used current standards like wayland and systemd they could easily cut developers cost.

Instead of needing a team of 30 developers or so they could have 10 - 15.
        But bzr, mir, upstart etc. makes Ubuntu so much better in the eyes of the users compared to other distros.....oh wait it doesn't.

Comment

Good, I hope they rot in hell.

And yes, I registered just to post this.

Comment

Originally posted by Baemir View Post

And here begins the story about how Canonical ruined lives across the world by starting WW3, promotes world hunger, killed your cat, or whatever other terrible thing you want to give the illusion they did just because you disagree with the general thought or appearance of Mir and/or Unity likely due to bandwagon-related reasons...

Comment

Originally posted by Baemir View Post

LOL

I hear you brother!

PS: Actually, i don't hate them, i just don't like the fact that they get too much attention from the media. They do not deserve it...

Comment

Originally posted by middy
                If they didn't have to hire extra developers to fork gnome shell, mir, and create things like upstart and their own store and rather used current standards like wayland and systemd they could easily cut developers cost.

Instead of needing a team of 30 developers or so they could have 10 - 15.
                This.

Comment

I hate to break it to you guys but if it weren't for them doing things like forking gnome-shell, they wouldn't be so (as you call it) undeservingly popular. So shut up or do something awesome like them

Comment

Originally posted by araxth View Post
                    Their own Mobile OS is currently live on Chinese smartphones (some Phoronix articles on this topic but more on other sites). I suppose the OEM Chinese deal bought them / will bring them some extra coins. I am pretty curious how the Ubuntu Phone is working, the tech specs are quite awesome but i can only hope i would manage to lay my greedy hands on one of them soon.

Best,
                    a,
                    I wouldn't bet on it. If you look at other players in the space, mobile phone operating systems aren't exactly a high-margin product.

Comment

Working...
                    X