No announcement yet.

Catalyst 8-4 and Ubuntu 8.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have reinstall the ubuntu package of catalyst 8.3. Now, I check my xorg.conf and my xorg.conf look like the xorg.conf file of Melcar. The header with ##### and the part who talk about the moose, the keyboard, etc. are not there. But, my Canadien (fr-Qu?bec) keyboard work perfectly. When I push the letter "?" I have an "?".

So, is it usefull to have all the information on xorg.conf or a very simple xorg.conf can do the job? And, if I delete xorg.conf, will it create preblems?

Is it possible to use fglrx driver without write driver "fglrx" on xorg.conf?

Last question: Why my keyboard work perfectly without any keyboard config on xorg.conf?

Comment

Originally posted by pierluc View Post
      I have reinstall the ubuntu package of catalyst 8.3. Now, I check my xorg.conf and my xorg.conf look like the xorg.conf file of Melcar. The header with ##### and the part who talk about the moose, the keyboard, etc. are not there. But, my Canadien (fr-Qu?bec) keyboard work perfectly. When I push the letter "?" I have an "?".

So, is it usefull to have all the information on xorg.conf or a very simple xorg.conf can do the job? And, if I delete xorg.conf, will it create preblems?

Is it possible to use fglrx driver without write driver "fglrx" on xorg.conf?

Last question: Why my keyboard work perfectly without any keyboard config on xorg.conf?

If you delete the whole file, X will most likely not be able to load and it will revert to defaults (the file will be generated again).
      If you look at your xorg.0.log, you will see that all the usual information is still there, but the Ubuntu guys for some reason decided to "hide" them from the user. You should still be able to input your own configuration in xorg.conf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired_God View Post
        I installed Hardy this morning, it automatically detected and asked for me to install my GFX drivers (I presume they're the current 8.4's) however, now I don't get any display.

I'm using a 3850 AGP.

I'll reinstall the OS tonight and do it manually, just wondering if this was a Hardy bug or something to with the fact it's an AGP card.

Thanks for your time.

I have this same card. The best success I've had with it is to use the radeonhd driver. I use the newest release from the git library and it seems to work just fine (of course no 2D, 3D or video acceleration, but that's the best you are going to get with this card right now). I know AMD is working on their binary driver and that should support it in the near future. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X