No announcement yet.

AMD A10-7850K Kaveri: The Linux Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess now we find out if Steamroller could possibly have posed a threat to Haswell as a pure CPU/no integrated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
      I've seen some reviews. Kaveri (except OpenCL) is not that big step forward for APUs and in Linux there are (and will be) definitely problems with drivers. So for a Linux user 6800K is the best APU s/he can get.

Works good with latest FOSS drivers and usually the fglrx Ubuntu recommends is stable.
      Yeah, with half baked test sites saying things like gimp score 132123123 <-- random pointless numbers with no mention of methodology or handbrake score @!#!@#123 whatever the hell that crap is....

Anyhow yeah, not much of a step forward in CPU compute but holy crap that A8 7600 @ 45w ~100US is a monster. That's the way to take it I guess, is they're trying to get better PPW, looks like they're doing okay with that.

As for the driver situation, yeah that bites, I expected they'd learned their lesson... GDT!

Not sure about the pricing though... 7800 is only 1 dollar less than the unlocked 7850 ? I mean... really?

Comment

Oh and when you do get the system running Michael, you have to let us know about the "true audio" part. Make sure it even can play sounds and all.

I can't laugh enough, these guys benching these things against I7's ;p... cause you know the ~200 difference means like nothing.

Comment

What interests me is how easier this will be in terms of memory optimization. IIRC one of the main problems with Radeon catching up to catalyst is the memory management. In theory, with HUMA now memory management is vastly simpler, so performance could catch up to fgrlx...

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            I can't laugh enough, these guys benching these things against I7's ;p... cause you know the ~200 difference means like nothing.
            I guess there are lots of people still hoping that some day AMD will release another Thunderbird.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              I guess there are lots of people still hoping that some day AMD will release another Thunderbird.
              They don't need to. Actually HSA if it succeeds on the software front will provide far better performance than a cpu can achieve. Also, for most home users cpu power is enough, they just need better gpus for prettier eyecandy and better video games...

Comment

The reality is quite clear by now: AMD isn't going to solve its CPU performance issues with anything from the Bulldozer family. What we need is a replacement architecture, one that I suspect we'll get after Excavator concludes the line in 2015.

On the other hand, the majority of benchmark results were not up to par by current standards. The 7850K’s CPU scores point towards a worrying trend: a real lack of inter-generational x86 performance increases. There were some IPC improvements that actually made things close but on average, it didn't deliver one iota more performance than its A10 6800K predecessor or provide anything in the way of efficiency increases. The K-series part didn't even distinguish itself all that well from the 65W, $55 less expensive A8 7600. This isn't just a poor showing; it's devastating for an APU that costs 20% more than the product it’s supposed to replace.
                Kaveri is a massive epic fail just like Bulldozer and Piledriver.

Comment

anandtech is as biased as they come, windows 8 has kaveri keeping up with i5's win 7 it get's stomped by i3's (http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showp...stcount=3206);

With that said, who the hell cares what it can do under windows I want to see this puppy unleashed with some nice optimization flags and unleashed in LINUX.... Of course, the driver problem seems to be holding that up.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    They don't need to. Actually HSA if it succeeds on the software front will provide far better performance than a cpu can achieve. Also, for most home users cpu power is enough, they just need better gpus for prettier eyecandy and better video games...
                    Sure, CPU performance is enough, but the software support for unleashing these parts' true power is lacking unfortunately. It feels like we're back in 2003 with the promise of 64-bit computing making everything better eventually, but no software to take advantage of it. The 45W A8-7600 looks rather nice though. I would love to see a comparison with Core i5-4670T or i3-4330T.

Comment

Now put the A10-7850K in a Steam Machine and sell it to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X