Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Advances For OpenGL 3.2 Support

Phoronix: Nouveau Advances For OpenGL 3.2 Support

Ilia Mirkin has published an exciting set of 19 patches to the Nouveau's NV50 Gallium3D driver that up the OpenGL support for this open-source NVIDIA graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

meanwhile poor radeonsi is stuck at 3.1

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
      meanwhile poor radeonsi is stuck at 3.1
      Radeonsi has bigger problems than OpenGL > 3.1, like 2D acceleration.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm a r600g user but kudos to the Nouveau devs for getting to OGL 3.2 support so quickly. Hope they can sort out the Piglit, performance and power issues to give a good open-source alternative to the binary blob.

Comment

I am disheartened that basically all freelance devs and Red Hat employees effectively flying blind make such a good driver as nouveau, while AMD still isn't at opengl 3.2 with 6 full time devs. And even Intel has a full dev team and is only a version past that! (yeah I know nouveau cards still can't reclock, but I'm sure if they had 1 paid Nvidia employee working on it who had the insider knowledge they could have it working in weeks).

I think though a lot of this is a testiment to how gallium3d works well - also consider the freedreno driver. They both have very low, especially commercial, manpower, but and holding their own just from the infrastructure that was made to support them. Which I do recognize owes a lot of credence to AMD and VMWare.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            yeah I know nouveau cards still can't reclock, but I'm sure if they had 1 paid Nvidia employee working on it who had the insider knowledge they could have it working in weeks

but, rhis list unlike last year, sure looks promising. also, having insider would kinda defeat reason for OSS drivers. the docs NVidia gave are fair game, rest it is not.

Comment

as far a gallium3d goes, what i am really interested in seeing is the other end of the pipe if you will. we have a lot of focus on getting the hardware support tied into gallium, but one of the key selling points when it was first announced was the easeof OS and API interoperability. i know we keep having the discusion of the dx9 and dx11 state tracker come up form time to time, and people keep getting excited about it as a linux api (for some odd reason) but what id realy like to see is a windows driver for a GPU that is entierly Gallium based. when Gallium was first concieved much of the documentation made it seem like the devs were designing it to be super easiy to be implemented as a windows driver to begin with, with the dx9 like IR and the seperation of componants, as if if things had gone differently maybe intel or powerVR would have hired them to write drivers for thier hardware for windows. of course this was all 5 or so years ago when we werent so sure of androids dominance on the non apple phone(and other portable device) market and there was a very good chance windows would have been a relevent mobile os, hell, we didnt even know that netbooks would take a nosedive like they did, there was a lot of speculation that we were going to have an abundance of arm+mobile gpu netbooks around.

so it would be nice to have the infanstructure in place for windows support for gallium3d if only to help entice GPU hardware vendors to select it as a base for thier future drivers. i woult think this would be very beneficial to alll the vendors out there, especialy the mobile gpu vendors who are starting to make some very impressive pieces of hardware that may soon be worthy of a desktop introduction. choosing gallium to base your hardware driver on would largely be a win win as you would get good cross platform integration with your driver and the community would get... a good cross platform integration.

or at the very least i would think reactos would apriciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
                as far a gallium3d goes, what i am really interested in seeing is the other end of the pipe if you will. we have a lot of focus on getting the hardware support tied into gallium, but one of the key selling points when it was first announced was the easeof OS and API interoperability. i know we keep having the discusion of the dx9 and dx11 state tracker come up form time to time, and people keep getting excited about it as a linux api (for some odd reason) but what id realy like to see is a windows driver for a GPU that is entierly Gallium based. when Gallium was first concieved much of the documentation made it seem like the devs were designing it to be super easiy to be implemented as a windows driver to begin with, with the dx9 like IR and the seperation of componants, as if if things had gone differently maybe intel or powerVR would have hired them to write drivers for thier hardware for windows. of course this was all 5 or so years ago when we werent so sure of androids dominance on the non apple phone(and other portable device) market and there was a very good chance windows would have been a relevent mobile os, hell, we didnt even know that netbooks would take a nosedive like they did, there was a lot of speculation that we were going to have an abundance of arm+mobile gpu netbooks around.

so it would be nice to have the infanstructure in place for windows support for gallium3d if only to help entice GPU hardware vendors to select it as a base for thier future drivers. i woult think this would be very beneficial to alll the vendors out there, especialy the mobile gpu vendors who are starting to make some very impressive pieces of hardware that may soon be worthy of a desktop introduction. choosing gallium to base your hardware driver on would largely be a win win as you would get good cross platform integration with your driver and the community would get... a good cross platform integration.

or at the very least i would think reactos would apriciate it.
                Windows gallium drivers do exist, they are just all proprietary. They also target Direct3d (10)

Comment

i know amd made a propriatary driver for something running windows.

i guess this is allowed because the gallium code is X11 liscence and not gpl.

maybe thats a big reason nobody has realy made (opensource) windows support to the current gallium codebase, because is signifigantly more likely it would be used in a propriatary driver? there wouldnt be a lot of motivation to just make that i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
                    i know amd made a propriatary driver for something running windows.

i guess this is allowed because the gallium code is X11 liscence and not gpl.

maybe thats a big reason nobody has realy made (opensource) windows support to the current gallium codebase, because is signifigantly more likely it would be used in a propriatary driver? there wouldnt be a lot of motivation to just make that i guess.
                    Not AMD -- we defined our hardware layer a few years before Gallium3D was introduced. The open source drivers use Gallium3D but not the proprietary ones...
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X