Thread: Nouveau Advances For OpenGL 3.2 Support

Hybrid View

Default Nouveau Advances For OpenGL 3.2 Support

Phoronix: Nouveau Advances For OpenGL 3.2 Support

Ilia Mirkin has published an exciting set of 19 patches to the Nouveau's NV50 Gallium3D driver that up the OpenGL support for this open-source NVIDIA graphics driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3MDE

meanwhile poor radeonsi is stuck at 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by dffx View Post
    meanwhile poor radeonsi is stuck at 3.1
    Radeonsi has bigger problems than OpenGL > 3.1, like 2D acceleration.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Thumbs up

I'm a r600g user but kudos to the Nouveau devs for getting to OGL 3.2 support so quickly. Hope they can sort out the Piglit, performance and power issues to give a good open-source alternative to the binary blob.

I am disheartened that basically all freelance devs and Red Hat employees effectively flying blind make such a good driver as nouveau, while AMD still isn't at opengl 3.2 with 6 full time devs. And even Intel has a full dev team and is only a version past that! (yeah I know nouveau cards still can't reclock, but I'm sure if they had 1 paid Nvidia employee working on it who had the insider knowledge they could have it working in weeks).

I think though a lot of this is a testiment to how gallium3d works well - also consider the freedreno driver. They both have very low, especially commercial, manpower, but and holding their own just from the infrastructure that was made to support them. Which I do recognize owes a lot of credence to AMD and VMWare.

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    yeah I know nouveau cards still can't reclock, but I'm sure if they had 1 paid Nvidia employee working on it who had the insider knowledge they could have it working in weeks
    http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement/
    but, rhis list unlike last year, sure looks promising. also, having insider would kinda defeat reason for OSS drivers. the docs NVidia gave are fair game, rest it is not.