Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Gedit For GNOME 3.12 Receives Brand New UI

Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Since for some reason this thread has turned into a war about Nautilus removing features and how that makes it "less cluttered" for non-power-users, allow me to introduce you all to Nemo:
    [Image removed]
    Amazingly simple, definitely easy to use (even if you're a "newbie"), yet retains all of the old features of Nautilus AND added a few extra. The only real change from "default" is that I changed the view from "Icon" to "Compact" and added a few folders to the sidebar.
    (icons are Numix-Circle, GTK theme is Numix)
    Looks almost as good as Thunar. I mean seriously, the feature list and ui design are similar, but in the end the Xfce file manager looks and feels just a bit slicker to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    The captions are optional. Having them on improves usability since you know exactly what each button does at a glance. But you have the option of turning them off to save space (as well as change icon size).
    Sure, but in that case, the screenshot is probably a bad example of "does this look cluttered", since we're comparing it with something that uses a much more compact layout...

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    Gnome should disable installing itself on systems with less than 1000 vertical pixels, because any less than that and there will be pain. There will be windows with buttons outside the screen area.
    That'd be an unfortunate thing to do, as I'm quite happy running it on my old netbook, at 1024x600. True, some applications have dialog boxes that are too big to fit on the screen, and web browsing is best done with the browser in full-screen mode, but that's nothing unique to Shell. It's no worse than any other desktop or WM I've tried running on that hardware...

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Sure, but in that case, the screenshot is probably a bad example of "does this look cluttered", since we're comparing it with something that uses a much more compact layout...
    My point is that even with all the bells and whistles the core UX is the same and the actual document view loses barely and vertical or horizontal window space. If having some words around the border is cluttered I could throw on a garden vine pattern in a gtk window border theme and make every Gnome app cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by wander View Post
    Well, could you please in short explain what makes GNOME 3 so broken for desktop users? I've been using linux for more than ten years and whether it is actual work I'm doing (development, audio recording, ...) or just listening to music, browsing the web and so on, GNOME works just fine. Of course there are a few things I don't like, just like in any other desktop environment, but it's nothing making me less productive.
    Yes, most of the things mentioned many times at lwn.net by ex-gnome 2 users. To name just few: removed features, tablet like DE and forcing users to use some shortcuts to make menu show up.
    Last edited by Pawlerson; 01-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kigurai View Post
    Some parts of iOS and Android maybe are worth copying?
    Maybe, but you don't mean gEdit current look, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Wow that's terrible. Reminds me why I couldn't use KTorrent. It's obvious the KDE fans are vastly different to the rest of us if they can't see how awful this is.
    That was really constructive. However, what to expect from gnome fanboy who attacks those who don't love his favorite DE?

It's a known troll account, you might as well not bother feeding it.
    Your attitude is against you. It's typical to trolls to call others like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Yes, most of the things mentioned many times at lwn.net by ex-gnome 2 users. To name just few: removed features,
    I didn't follow the discussions on lwn.net and as for myself I don't miss anything in particular that has been removed, so what features do you mean?

tablet like DE
    I am not sure if GNOME 3 is actually usable with a tablet but as long as it doesn't affect my desktop experience - which it doesn't - I don't see any problem with that. But other users may have different workflows and use their DE in a different way, so maybe I'm missing something.

and forcing users to use some shortcuts to make menu show up.
    Which menu?

Quote Originally Posted by ObiWan View Post
    As stated KWrite is the KDE version of GEdit

But vanilla there isn't much difference to kate

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Maybe, but you don't mean gEdit current look, do you?
    No. I am just saying that "copying iOS/Android" is not necessarily a bad thing.