No announcement yet.

Gedit For GNOME 3.12 Receives Brand New UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You remember the old joke of windows powered car having breaks accessible over "start"?
    Well, in gnome-powered car, break pedals are accessible inside the trunk and the steering wheel is under the car.
    Main point - it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
      looks ugly and painful to work. But in a tablet maybe is fine. :P
      I don't see why it would be fine on tablets. Any extra clicks are bad for tablets. Small icons are bad as well.

Originally posted by devius View Post
      I'm curious if having the "open file" button on the far left and the "save file" button on the far right will work though, but I mostly just use Ctrl+S anyway, so it doesn't bother me. But it does look like a completely arbitrary design decision to me. What could possibly be the logic in separating the "file operations" buttons, and putting the save action next to the app options menu and the close button?
      You'd have to ask Microsoft about it. They did the same thing, first in Office, later in other applications (Paint etc.). Though admittedly the right icons were shortcuts, the left icon had all the file-related options once expanded.

Comment

There are Adobe Brackets for some: http://brackets.io/

Comment

Gedit Receives Brand New UI

Gedit Receives Brand New UI
          I didn't even need to read the rest what this means: Reducing the number of useful buttons to a minimum and asuming the human being generally is a moron. Then I saw the screens and guess what... it's the gnome devs who are as predictable as morons.
          For me this is no f*cking design, this goddamn lazyness by the designers. They have literally no idea of ergononomy during work. I don't want click through some freaking lists, just because it would have been to easy to just place a button... Pressing ALT to find the shutdown button.. wtf?? Going to the upper left corner, than going to the very right to switch workspaces... No I will stop here and never come back to GNOME until this won't change, this is just ALIEN. Yeah sorry that's the best word I can find for such idiocy and redundancy (in it's way way worse than kde). ALIEN.

Comment

I only care about its loading time. To me gedit only plays the role of notepad under windows, but it's too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              I don't want click through some freaking lists, just because it would have been to easy to just place a button..
              So, you always click the mouse on undo, redo, cut, paste, copy and search. You don't use keyboard shortcuts?

Comment

I think it is a good move, because all apps should feel the same. There is no such thing as GNOME 3. It is something in between GNOME 2 and something new called GNOME, but very different than GNOME 2, and maybe that is what makes people angry. My opinion is that GNOME devs have kind of idea what they want, but they didn't finish it. The whole GNOME 3 thing looks like a beta.

The best example is GTK+ 3.0. It is much harder to make a modern app that looks like nautilus than the simple old app, and if they want to make their apps look the same, that should be in GTK+. That means GTK+ should change, and that means GTK+ 4.0, and that means GNOME 4.

Just hope it will end well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                  Pressing ALT to find the shutdown button.. wtf?? Going to the upper left corner, than going to the very right to switch workspaces... No I will stop here and never come back to GNOME until this won't change
                  That's what I meant with extra long mouse ways. Useless, especially when using multi monitor setup.

Comment

That's just awful.
                    And why would I move my mouse across the whole screen to first save a file and then open another one?

Comment

Retarded

This looks retarded. It looks confusing and unproductive.
                      It looks like its made for tablets or smartphones or something.

But no tablet or smartphone runs GNOME.
                      This is useless.

This is a huge step backwards.

Comment

Working...
                      X