Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 90

Thread: Gedit For GNOME 3.12 Receives Brand New UI

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Maybe I am the only one, but I do like the new interface. Looks less cluttered. Reminds me a bit of Sublime Text perhaps? Gnome is moving to the new interface guidelines (that's why gedit has changed). I see many ideas from the Mac world (top menu, no file/edit/about menu in the same screen, few buttons, big tabs, etc.).

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3

    Unhappy

    Our children will look at screen-shots from this last years and say
    "Why on Earth did you do that?"
    And we will reply:
    I have no idea. Fashion maybe?
    They might see regular menus as "old looking" or even "primitive", but still I don't think they will see 'this' as a step forward.

    Two wishes:
    • I hope there is no designer who ever thinks of "Refreshing Keyboard shortcuts"!
    • I wish to say: "Do you remember when that useless fashion took over usability? Lucky us! It passed away!"

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Looks great. It's a good thing more and more apps get the new guidelines.
    The only thing is if you have a old screen, the header bar get very big. It's fine with a modern high resolution screen but with my old 1280x800 it is to big.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I used Gnome since version 2 but I think its getting worse with every release.
    At the moment Nautilus is painful. Also the global menu which is on the left and the one-menu-button which is on the right.
    I don't know what the devs are thinking but the new mockups of Gnome are very scary. Sad to see that they are going this way.
    All the new stuff like Gnome Shell and UIs do not work out for me.

    I switched to KDE finally. Sure it has it flaws too, but at least I can configure everything the way I want and the way I can work with it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default Try Xubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    Forget it, Gnome is too far gone.
    After giving up on Gnome, I tried many current distro's and found Xubuntu to be more like Gnome 2 than anything else available. Xubuntu is, by far, the best organized and staffed Ubuntu variant, rivaling Ubuntu itself. Xubuntu offers a more robust standard feature set than distributions that use a dumbed-down "universal" interface.

    Debian, upon which Ubuntu is based, now uses the XFCE desktop, just like Xubuntu, lending further resources to development of this user interface.

    By contrast, the Lubuntu variant of Ubuntu is in limbo because its LXDE desktop is in the process of being ported to the Qt framework. I found the derivative distro, Linux Mint, to be buggy, outdated and insecure, disabling kernel updates by default, for example.

    IMHO, Xubuntu is the best choice for desktop users going into the 2014 April long-term support releases.

    http://distrowatch.com/xubuntu

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Looks great. It's a good thing more and more apps get the new guidelines.
    The only thing is if you have a old screen, the header bar get very big. It's fine with a modern high resolution screen but with my old 1280x800 it is to big.
    It looks really cluttered to me. There is a global menu at the top panel. Then we have a menu at the left top of the window bar, then we have a menu at the right window bar.
    Wtf ? Do they seriosly tried to work with this ? If one would measure the mouse ways in doing real work (like web programming) it would be: Unity > KDE > Gnome

    Also instead of redoing the UI in every release, they should improve their applications, which are a mess since Gnome2 compared to KDE's.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    66

    Default

    looks ugly and painful to work. But in a tablet maybe is fine. :P
    Last edited by felipe; 01-13-2014 at 02:44 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseus View Post
    Maybe I am the only one, but I do like the new interface. Looks less cluttered. Reminds me a bit of Sublime Text perhaps? Gnome is moving to the new interface guidelines (that's why gedit has changed). I see many ideas from the Mac world (top menu, no file/edit/about menu in the same screen, few buttons, big tabs, etc.).
    Agreed. It's becoming more useable and out of your face. Still OS X is nowhere near as usable as NeXTSTEP in its day. Then again the tear away menus that store state back in 1989-1996 seems to be considered archaic by today's all-in-one world.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210

    Default

    As someone who use gedit daily, I welcome these changes. The current toolbar simply contains lots of stuff that I never use (by clicking the toolbar). Freeing up space is always welcome.
    Not sure yet what I think about the current tab design though. Have to see how it works when it lands.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theghost View Post
    It looks really cluttered to me. There is a global menu at the top panel. Then we have a menu at the left top of the window bar, then we have a menu at the right window bar.
    Wtf ? Do they seriosly tried to work with this ? If one would measure the mouse ways in doing real work (like web programming) it would be: Unity > KDE > Gnome

    Also instead of redoing the UI in every release, they should improve their applications, which are a mess since Gnome2 compared to KDE's.
    I like it as long they only have less used stuff in the global menu in the top bar.
    I really like the new nautilus in 3.10. But I think global menu is pretty useless for stuff you need often.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •