Gedit For GNOME 3.12 Receives Brand New UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akka View Post
    alt+up arrow and alt+down arrow goes up and down and alt+left arrow and alt+right arrow goes forward and backward in the filsystem
    You can also click on the parent directory in the location bar. So I don't understand what the fuss is about.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
      If I remember correctly, Nautilus is no longer drawing the desktop, unless you enable that yourself via tweak tools. But you'd have to get that verified elsewhere.
      I know people complain about nautilus. I have not noticed anything, and think it works fine. Not saying that your problems are not real, only that they might not be universal
      Tweak tool is needed to enable drawing on the desktop. I do not know what kind of functionality some users wanted like extra panel for example which I personally did not miss.

Comment

Originally posted by wander View Post
        I didn't follow the discussions on lwn.net and as for myself I don't miss anything in particular that has been removed, so what features do you mean?
        The best example was inability to change fonts easily. You had to use text editor or some third party tool.

Which menu?
        You had to hold Alt to show shutdown menu. Maybe they changed this, but I didn't use gnome since few months. However, the main problem with gnome is they don't have clear vision how it should look and behave. You're never sure what "brilliant" idea developers will introduce. They have some HIG, but it's seems it's not backed by any serious studies. It has flaws that everyone can easily point out. For example they're forcing you to use keyboard, otherwise simple task will demand more mouse clicks - in comparison to other DEs - or some others like "shutdown" won't be available at all. It's a bad design. Those are hard arguments unlike "KDE is cluttered" which was an only Kostas' argument. And he called me troll. :>
        Last edited by Guest; 15 January 2014, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          You had to hold Alt to show shutdown menu. Maybe they changed this, but I didn't use gnome since few months. However, the main problem with gnome is they don't have clear vision how it should look and behave. You're never sure what "brilliant" idea developers will introduce. They have some HIG, but it's seems it's not backed by any serious studies. It has flaws that everyone can easily point out. For example they're forcing you to use keyboard, otherwise simple task will demand more mouse clicks - in comparison to other DEs - or some others like "shutdown" won't be available at all. It's a bad design.
          AFAIK there is no action in GNOME 3.10 that requires keyboard, except possibly "suspend", but that does not really matter since laptops will suspend on lid close, and workstations usually suspend if you click the power button.

As for visions, I disagree. Even though the details might be unknown (as they usually are) I think the vision for GNOME is quite clear. Besides, what visions and studies drive the other desktop environments?

Comment

The best example was inability to change fonts easily. You had to use text editor or some third party tool.
            You had to hold Alt to show shutdown menu
            Well, no. You can use GNOME Tweak Tool which is developed by GNOME developers as is hosted in gnome.org and released along with new GNOME versions.

No, you don't need use to alt either for the shutdown option (there is no separate menu for shutdown).

Bottom right icon. There are current issues that needs to be dealt with but you are not pointing out any of them.

Comment

Normally the people who get the least work done are the ones who brag how productive their WM/DE is.

Personal observation.

Comment

Those are hard arguments unlike "KDE is cluttered" which was an only Kostas' argument. And he called me troll. :>
                Please, Pawlerson. I've seen enough posts of yours to know this account is only slightly above the likes of Funkstar and BOSS.

FWIW I was commenting on the screenshot, which did as far as I'm concerned look terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                  Please, Pawlerson. I've seen enough posts of yours to know this account is only slightly above the likes of Funkstar and BOSS.

FWIW I was commenting on the screenshot, which did as far as I'm concerned look terrible.
                  When comes to comments about bsd I agree. It's because I can't take something like that seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

I tried to adapt to gnome 3.x through the use of plugins, but nautilus was the last straw -- it is very thoroughly crippled. Although it is possible to still switch the location bar into TEXT mode, there is no button available to step up into the parent directory.
                    Well, from this comment alone i can tell that you have not really tried to use GNOME 3.x ... You are just trolling...

Tell me, what do you need an "up" button for? Nautilus keeps your current path as buttons at the top, you can press any directory and go back to it.

Nautilus opens showing home directory by default. If you need to browse your filesystem, it is faster to press the link to / from the left, than any "up" button.

For the rare occassion that you want to browse other home directories, then selecting the filesystem->home->directory will require one more click. Big deal. If that matters a lot to you, make a shortcut of it at the left of nautilus...

All in all, the "up" button is NOT REQUIRED, it is actually CLUTTER, and an ancient relic from the days of Windows...

Comment

Working...
                    X