Gedit For GNOME 3.12 Receives Brand New UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
    you prefer GNOME over KDE because of its settings?
    No, because I like its visuals better. GNOME 3 works hard to keep distractions at minimum, and I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
      No, because I like its visuals better. GNOME 3 works hard to keep distractions at minimum, and I like that.
      But this is nothing you can get from his image.
      KDE Problem is that UX needs some basic guide lines for this especially the systemsettings part.
      I'm a KDE User myself but when I look that it I must admit that this is very distracting, even for someone that has some experience with KDE.
      But I think removing some distracting features entirely is not the right way, better hide them until the user goes near them. Show tooltips to inform the user about them or add an keybind overview (show the current state of the program, keybinds and infos about them).

Comment

But this is nothing you can get from his image.
        What do you mean? I *have* been a KDE user, albeit quite some time ago. The cluttered feeling (and visuals in general) is what made me go back to GNOME.
        I have tried to keep some tabs on what's going on in KDE-land, but nothing I've seen has made me want to go back.
        I just want to point out that I don't think there is something inherently wrong with KDE. I just happen to like GNOME better.

But I think removing some distracting features entirely is not the right way, better hide them until the user goes near them. Show tooltips to inform the user about them or add an keybind overview (show the current state of the program, keybinds and infos about them).
        Which is pretty much what I think happened in gedit. Buttons that arguably few people would ever pressed have been removed. I assume that undo/redo and friends are still available from the option-button.

Comment

I assume that undo/redo and friends are still available from the option-button.
          Yes, they are.

Comment

KDE Problem is that UX needs some basic guide lines for this especially the systemsettings part.
            IIRC system settings are getting a revamp on KF5. But even now, you can choose to use the tree view instead of the icon view, which makes it more organised in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              IIRC system settings are getting a revamp on KF5. But even now, you can choose to use the tree view instead of the icon view, which makes it more organised in my opinion.
              Yes, some last 4.x release made it much worse before it was "ok", 4.9 or 4.8 or something alike was it as I think.

Comment

No. I am just saying that "copying iOS/Android" is not necessarily a bad thing.
                That would depend greatly on what *elements* you're copying.
                Android has THREE different UI's, that are selected between based on the physical dimensions of the screen itself. 3rd party applications have EVEN MORE flexibility to adjust their UI's to varying screen sizes and ratios.

Further, Android is adapted specifically to touch screen interfaces that DO NOT have a keyboard or mouse. The usage patterns are entirely different than for a device with a 24 inch display, a keyboard, and a *high precision* pointing device. Remember that a "touch" is like a BLOB appearing on the screen. A mouse is a MUCH more high-precision pointing device.

So take the Android "phone" UI, it is designed to be operated by your thumb while being held in ONE HAND. Few and large contact areas in order to be able to accurately select between them, as well as motion gestures and layered menus. You can move your thumb around a 4-5 inch display quickly and easily, even if you need to select subsequent buttons from opposite corners. On a large non-touch screen with a mouse? Not so easy, you need to scroll all around the screen repeatedly, so it makes sense to reduce the number of layers in the menu and keep a lot of options tight in to the entry point, that way your make one major motion to get the entry point, then a small PRECISION motion to get to the menu option. You don't want to be jumping back and forth across the screen to get ahold of layered menus with everything spread out.

I tried to adapt to gnome 3.x through the use of plugins, but nautilus was the last straw -- it is very thoroughly crippled. Although it is possible to still switch the location bar into TEXT mode, there is no button available to step up into the parent directory. Contrary to assertions made by others, it is NOT possible to swap out nautilus for something else, because nautilus is responsible for drawing the DESKTOP.

As far as gedit goes, I couldn't care less. Its always been a crippled toy, gvim is a good text editor.

Also, MATE, being a fork of gnome-2, is a good replacement for gnome-3, for those who need a UI that is actually *productive*.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  That would depend greatly on what *elements* you're copying.
                  Android has THREE different UI's, that are selected between based on the physical dimensions of the screen itself. 3rd party applications have EVEN MORE flexibility to adjust their UI's to varying screen sizes and ratios.

Further, Android is adapted specifically to touch screen interfaces that DO NOT have a keyboard or mouse. The usage patterns are entirely different than for a device with a 24 inch display, a keyboard, and a *high precision* pointing device. Remember that a "touch" is like a BLOB appearing on the screen. A mouse is a MUCH more high-precision pointing device.

So take the Android "phone" UI, it is designed to be operated by your thumb while being held in ONE HAND. Few and large contact areas in order to be able to accurately select between them, as well as motion gestures and layered menus. You can move your thumb around a 4-5 inch display quickly and easily, even if you need to select subsequent buttons from opposite corners. On a large non-touch screen with a mouse? Not so easy, you need to scroll all around the screen repeatedly, so it makes sense to reduce the number of layers in the menu and keep a lot of options tight in to the entry point, that way your make one major motion to get the entry point, then a small PRECISION motion to get to the menu option. You don't want to be jumping back and forth across the screen to get ahold of layered menus with everything spread out.
                  I just stated that "copying Android/iOS" is not inherently a bad thing. I was not saying we should copy everything, or even large parts of it.

I tried to adapt to gnome 3.x through the use of plugins, but nautilus was the last straw -- it is very thoroughly crippled. Although it is possible to still switch the location bar into TEXT mode, there is no button available to step up into the parent directory. Contrary to assertions made by others, it is NOT possible to swap out nautilus for something else, because nautilus is responsible for drawing the DESKTOP.
                  If I remember correctly, Nautilus is no longer drawing the desktop, unless you enable that yourself via tweak tools. But you'd have to get that verified elsewhere.
                  I know people complain about nautilus. I have not noticed anything, and think it works fine. Not saying that your problems are not real, only that they might not be universal

Also, MATE, being a fork of gnome-2, is a good replacement for gnome-3, for those who need a UI that is actually *productive*.
                  Except of course that this is your subjective opinion. Lots of people obviously use G3, and are being quite productive. Seen this argument prop up over the last two years, and it feels just as elitist now as it did back then.

Comment

I still wonder why some people are switching away from GNOME Shell which they claim to like but switch because they don't like Nautilus's new feature set. There's nothing preventing you guys to install a different file manager, you know? Nautilus doesn't draw the desktop anymore since 3.10 and you can easily set a different fm as default...

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      I tried to adapt to gnome 3.x through the use of plugins, but nautilus was the last straw -- it is very thoroughly crippled. Although it is possible to still switch the location bar into TEXT mode, there is no button available to step up into the parent directory.
                      alt+up arrow and alt+down arrow goes up and down and alt+left arrow and alt+right arrow goes forward and backward in the filsystem

Comment

Working...
                      X