Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73

Thread: Gallium3D Direct3D 9 For Wine Revived, Again

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    As i said in the other thread, no matter what the Wine devs reply, it is apparent to all that they don't want to support the d3d9 state tracker because it is not available for Macs.

    They have no valid argument. The vast majority of the work for the state tracker is on the part of Mesa. The only thing they need to do is mainline the ability to use it... In effect this means just providing d3d9 calls as-is instead of transforming them to opengl... It is actually quite trivial...

    I am sure MESA would mainline the d3d9 state tracker if it was used by Wine. As it is, there is no point, since no one aside a few do-it-yourselfers will use it...
    Stefan explained on this thread what's what:

    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...415#post388415

    I've actually linked one of his posts that replies to yours directly so people can see how "out there" what you say is.

    Why do you keep spewing crap?

    I'm getting quite tired of toxic trolls such as yourself.

    You seem to know quite a bunch about what "they need to do". So how about you do it?

    Since when the hell do you get to dictate what a valid argument and what people do with their time.
    Last edited by who_me; 01-13-2014 at 02:40 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    Stefan explained on this thread what's what:

    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...415#post388415

    I've actually linked one of his posts that replies to yours directly so people can see how "out there" what you say is.

    Why do you keep spewing crap?

    I'm getting quite tired of toxic trolls such as yourself.

    You seem to know quite a bunch about what "they need to do". So how about you do it?

    Since when the hell do you get to dictate what a valid argument and what people do with their time.

    Post anything you want. A lie is still a lie. We want a Wine with three options on GUI: D3D9_state_tracker, GLSL, GLSL_off. Anything else is considered criminal behavior by me.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    Stefan explained on this thread what's what:

    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...415#post388415

    I've actually linked one of his posts that replies to yours directly so people can see how "out there" what you say is.

    Why do you keep spewing crap?

    I'm getting quite tired of toxic trolls such as yourself.

    You seem to know quite a bunch about what "they need to do". So how about you do it?

    Since when the hell do you get to dictate what a valid argument and what people do with their time.
    I am sorry, did i hurt your feelings? I obviously saw his response and i don't buy it, and no one should because he has no valid argument...

    The patch that is required on the Wine part is quite small and easily maintained. It can be a simple compile time option. It is obvious to anyone semi-knowledgable in software... The only thing they need to do is to NOT translate the d3d commands and instead send them to the d3d state tracker.

    So his only "argument", that this will require much extra work, is invalid. It won't.

    They just don't want to accept it because it will make their mac version look bad.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    473

    Default

    TemplarGR, if you think it's so easy, then *you* distribute a version of wine with d3d state tracker support, and deal with all the bugs users will report, and all other support issues. And of course keep your version updated with all changes in mainline wine. Then we'll see how it's just "a simple compile time option" and how "invalid" Stefan's argument supposedly is.

    artvision, if you want it, then, well, make it happen! You can join up with TemplarGR.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I am sorry, did i hurt your feelings? I obviously saw his response and i don't buy it, and no one should because he has no valid argument...
    Who the hell gives a shit about what arguments you and the other troll buy or not? Who the hell do you think you are?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    Who the hell gives a shit about what arguments you and the other troll buy or not? Who the hell do you think you are?
    The same could be said about yourself. Who the hell do you think you are? Until now you have not provided a single argument in favour of your opinion, apart from linking to another post and calling other people trolls.

    If you are searching for a troll, look in the mirror.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    TemplarGR, if you think it's so easy, then *you* distribute a version of wine with d3d state tracker support, and deal with all the bugs users will report, and all other support issues. And of course keep your version updated with all changes in mainline wine. Then we'll see how it's just "a simple compile time option" and how "invalid" Stefan's argument supposedly is.

    artvision, if you want it, then, well, make it happen! You can join up with TemplarGR.
    Typical reaction in opensource forums.

    The tactic is simple: When you have no valid argument, always ask your opponent to program something and stop making you appear wrong... You know, the typical "if you don't like eg a feature of Libreoffice, create another office suite yourself". Nice logical thinking here...

    Here is your answer:

    Bugs regarding the state tracker, should be reported to the state tracker, or MESA if it gets mainlined, not WINE. As i said, Wine's part in this would be fairly trivial. Actually, with the use of the state tracker, many bugs WINE currently has will stop affecting users.

    As for me creating a fork of Wine with the d3d9 tracker support, because that is what you are suggesting, it is quite a stupid proposal. There is absolutely no need for that. You shouldn't create a fork just to use a patchset. If a distro wants the d3d9 state tracker, it can enable it. The problem is that this won't lead to its universal use and as such interest in improving the d3d9 state tracker will dissappear, just as it happened with the d3d10/11 state tracker.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Typical reaction in the opensource forums.
    Because it's an obvious one. You're big on the talk. But what do you have to back that talk up? Nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Bugs regarding the state tracker, should be reported to the state tracker, or MESA if it gets mainlined, not WINE.
    When a person is running wine and their game isn't working right, where will they go first? To the wine bug tracker of course. Which means wine devs have to triage the bug and investigate the issue, figure out where it lies. Or should they simply close bugs with "not my problem, report to mesa"? That'll work out great. Also, how can you know the issue is really in mesa?

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    As i said, Wine's part in this would be fairly trivial. Actually, with the use of the state tracker, many bugs WINE currently has will stop affecting users.
    Again, big on the talk. Back it up by actions. Provide your wine, take enjoyment in people using a faster, less buggy product. It's all so trivial, so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    As for me creating a fork of Wine with the d3d9 tracker support, because that is what you are suggesting, it is quite a stupid proposal.
    Not a fork. A branch. You track mainline wine, and maintain the state tracker on top of it. That's not a fork, because you're always the same as mainline, save for one supposedly trivial addition.

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    If a distro wants the d3d9 state tracker, it can enable it.
    No, they can't just enable it. They have to incorporate the patch, and then make sure it still applies when the next version of wine is released. So pretty much maintain a branch of wine, something I proposed *you* do, because it's supposedly so trivial. They also have to deal with all user bug reports - they can't send users to upstream, because they're not distributing an upstream product.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinguinpc View Post


    erm

    r600/radeonsi works fine in wine. i've not found a game i can't play with Wine and latest radeonsi build.

    performance is a different story -- with catalyst wine often fails fantastically. interestingly, however, is that games that run on both radeonsi and Catalyst tend to get the same performance on both drivers.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    The same could be said about yourself. Who the hell do you think you are? Until now you have not provided a single argument in favour of your opinion, apart from linking to another post and calling other people trolls.

    If you are searching for a troll, look in the mirror.
    he did provide you with very valid argument. wine developers think it is not easy, you think it is. prove them wrong by maintaining this release, not just making it and dumping it on wine developers. 2nd one is really easy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •