Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Updates Its Old GeForce 6 Series Driver

Default NVIDIA Updates Its Old GeForce 6 Series Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Updates Its Old GeForce 6 Series Driver

While NVIDIA may not be doing much to help out Nouveau at the moment, they at least are supporting their Linux customers well in continuing to maintain their legacy binary Linux graphics drivers. The 304.1190 Linux driver was released today to fix a problem from NVIDIA's Nalu days...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4MDc

Nvidia's legacy support is simply FANTASTIC!
    Last edited by verde; 01-23-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Nvidia's legacy support is simply FANTASTIC!
    Indeed. Looking at you, AMD, your turn to come up with a driver for your 2007 (not 2004 !!) hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Indeed. Looking at you, AMD, your turn to come up with a driver for your 2007 (not 2004 !!) hardware.
    What could AMD even do to older cards to warrant a newer driver, and then make it better than the open-source one?

Making a driver just to make one isn't exactly a productive use of time...

Give me OpenGL 3.3 + UVD 2.0 support in r600g and you won't see me blaming AMD anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    Give me OpenGL 3.3 + UVD 2.0 support in r600g and you won't see me blaming AMD anymore.
    r600g already support UVD 2.0, OGL3.3 will coming soon. I think that in next 2-3 moths we'll see 3.3 support.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Not only no, but hell no! Catalyst sucks except for supporting the very latest cards (and it failed miserably with the R290 in Phoronix's testing). The Catalyst Linux team can't even come up with a coherent version numbering scheme or be bothered to provide a changelog half the time. AMD is unwilling and/or able to give the same level of support to their blob that Nvidia does, which is why they invested in open-source driver development.

So quit whining for old Catalyst blobs. If you're trying to play Steam games with your RadeonHD 4850 on Linux, you're doing it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    So quit whining for old Catalyst blobs. If you're trying to play Steam games with your RadeonHD 4850 on Linux, you're doing it wrong...
    If I still have to wait for UVD support on RS780/880/RV790 AMD is doing it wrong. So quit posting when you have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
    What could AMD even do to older cards to warrant a newer driver, and then make it better than the open-source one?

Making a driver just to make one isn't exactly a productive use of time...
    AMD needs to choose to either support Open Source drivers full time, or ignore open source and work on their Catalyst drivers full time. Cause either one suffers lack of proper effort. While AMD's open source drivers are better then Nvidia's, it's not better then Nvidia's proprietary driver. Catalyst is not any better.

Quote Originally Posted by nadro View Post
    r600g already support UVD 2.0, OGL3.3 will coming soon. I think that in next 2-3 moths we'll see 3.3 support.
    Theres no UVD for HD4850 or 4870