Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 7670M is a 7650M? Did I get ripped off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 7670M is a 7650M? Did I get ripped off?

I have an Acer Aspire V3 551G-X419 laptop, and it is advertised to have a 7660G iGPU (on the 4600M APU), and a 7670M dGPU. Under various Linux distros however, lspci speficies:

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] [B]Thames[/B] [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] [B]Radeon HD 7650M[/B]
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 47
    	Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    	Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    	I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
    	[virtual] Expansion ROM at f0420000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    	Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    	Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    	Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
    	Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
    	Kernel driver in use: radeon
    	Kernel modules: radeon
    Specifically, the Subsystem stating a 7650M and the name itself being just Thames (I believe the 7670M is based off Thames-Pro, but I could be wrong).

I've done a update-pciids and it still reports the same information. From what I recall, the chip on the motherboard itself doesn't reveal any kind of product number or anything visually (unless it's really tiny or something).

According to this unrelated bug report on Launchpad, an owner of a Acer Aspire 7750G laptop (with advertised 7670M) has their lspci reporting both a Thames XT and 7670M.

I've reported this to Acer on their forums, but so far they seem rather silent on it aside from the update-pciids suggestion: http://community.acer.com/t5/Noteboo...PU/td-p/171587

Could lspci be mistaken, or was I sold something not-as advertised?

PCI ids are user-reported, so they could be wrong. Only way to be sure is to check the markings on the chip.

Comment

Is there any other way to verify? I'm "almost" certain I didn't see any identifier numbers on the chip itself when I last opened the laptop, but I'll check again to be sure.

Comment

Well, why don't you go to a website like http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...adeon-hd-7670m

and see whether you can find out the differences on your gpu.

This seems to be easy to check:

Core Speed 550 MHz vs 600 MHz
        Memory Speed 800 MHz vs 900 MHz

You could check under ~100% load, I think with sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info when debugfs is mounted there.
        sclk divided by 100 (?) is the core clock and mclk divided by 100 (?) is the memory clock...

The only other difference seems to be
        Render Output Units 8 vs 16
        and I have no idea how to find that out.

Oh, or you could look what microcode the radeon driver is loading, I mean, if the microcode works it probably is the correct architecture, right?

dmesg | grep -E "Loading .* Microcode"
        Last edited by ChrisXY; 18 January 2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

IIRC the microcode is the same between xx50 and xx70 devices, and some of the other behavioral differences depend on what device the driver recognizes.

Clocks seem like a good thing to look at though, since they are stored in the on-card BIOS independently of device ID etc..
          Test signature

Comment

Most likely the OEM uses the same subsystem ids for several variants of the card. Also, anyone can edit the pciids strings used by Linux, so take them with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              ...Only way to be sure is to check the markings on the chip.
              Hmm, so the only markings on the chip itself are:

Code:
              (AMD Logo)
              MADE IN TAIWAN
              PGH675.00
              216-083300
              Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              Well, why don't you go to a website like http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...adeon-hd-7670m

and see whether you can find out the differences on your gpu.

This seems to be easy to check:

Core Speed 550 MHz vs 600 MHz
              Memory Speed 800 MHz vs 900 MHz
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              ...Clocks seem like a good thing to look at though, since they are stored in the on-card BIOS independently of device ID etc..
              The clocks according to fglrx do show as 600/900, so it seems good in that regard.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              Most likely the OEM uses the same subsystem ids for several variants of the card. Also, anyone can edit the pciids strings used by Linux, so take them with a grain of salt.
              Ah, that makes sense. Never knew about pciids being user-maintained, just always figured it grabbed it straight from the hardware somehow.

Comment

Working...
              X