Thread: Intel Haswell Might Have Regressed Hard On Linux

Hybrid View

Default Intel Haswell Might Have Regressed Hard On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Haswell Might Have Regressed Hard On Linux

For your viewing pleasure this weekend are some extra benchmarks of various Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell HD Graphics when using an Ubuntu 14.04 Linux development snapshot with the Linux 3.13 kernel and Mesa 10.0.1. The processors tested included the Core i3 2120, Core i5 2500K, Core i5 3470, Core i7 3770K, Core i3 4130, and Core i7 4770K. These tests appear to represent a huge drawback in performance for Intel Haswell on Linux compared to earlier results.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19646

Whoa, the block layer regressed, Haswell cpus regressed... 3.13 sounds less and less desirable each passing day.

Shocking test results.

Awfull results. How come Haswell is so much slower than previous gen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sn3ipen View Post
    Awfull results. How come Haswell is so much slower than previous gen?
    it wasn“t with older kernels...

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomme View Post
    it wasn“t with older kernels...
    Hold on, do we know it is the kernel? It could be something in mesa as well. I am running linux-3.13 git with mesa 9.2.1 from kubuntu saucy, and this has no significant regressions in my testing. Michael mentioned he'll investigate, let's see how it goes.

Regardless, I've been saying this for months now. Ever since mesa 9.2 + kernel 3.10, where haswell improved tremendously, nothing much happened for haswell, at least in my testing with qgears2, glmark2 and unigine. In fact, many times, kernels newer than 3.10 gave me regressions, though not as bad as this. so i've been mostly running the default kubuntu saucy stack.

Worth mentioning, too, is the fact that both xorg-edgers and oibaf on top of saucy have been really really unstable, to the point that i try every now and then, just to revert to the default saucy stack.

Code:
    ~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep model
    model           : 60
    model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz