Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Biggest Problem With GTK & What Qt Does Good

Phoronix: The Biggest Problem With GTK & What Qt Does Good

Dirk Hohndel of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has talked at length on his experiences in the GTK and Qt tool-kits, including what he views as the biggest problem with GTK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Holy sheep, where's muh popcorn? Quick!

Comment

"the biggest problem with GTK is the attitude of the core community."
      Naaoooooooooooooooooooooooo......... I would have never guessed that.

Comment

Can't lie, QtCreator is my absolute favorite IDE, and if I'm doing anything even remotely C/C++ I'll use it (Qt or not doesn't even matter).

On topic: what I was actually waiting for him to criticize was how GNOME folks tend to integrate things in GTK that are relevant to GNOME, but completely useless anywhere else (eg. the slider switch).
        Nevertheless, GLib/GTK has one of the best structured APIs among C libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Holy sheep, where's muh popcorn? Quick!
          *munch munch*

Comment

a better IDE than Eclipse CDT?

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            Can't lie, QtCreator is my absolute favorite IDE, and if I'm doing anything even remotely C/C++ I'll use it (Qt or not doesn't even matter).

On topic: what I was actually waiting for him to criticize was how GNOME folks tend to integrate things in GTK that are relevant to GNOME, but completely useless anywhere else (eg. the slider switch).
            Nevertheless, GLib/GTK has one of the best structured APIs among C libraries.
            Except for Qt designer, I can't see how QtCreator can beat Eclipse CDT. I have not used QtCreator for three years, ans thus may fail to see its advancement.

Comment

Still bloatware

Doesn't change the fact Qt is a bloated pos.

Comment

Originally posted by PengZheng View Post
                Except for Qt designer, I can't see how QtCreator can beat Eclipse CDT. I have not used QtCreator for three years, ans thus may fail to see its advancement.
                I haven't used Eclipse, but from what I saw on my coworkers screens looked a bit painful to work with.. might just be an uninformed impression though.
                Anything Eclipse does that Creator doesn't that I should look into?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  I haven't used Eclipse, but from what I saw on my coworkers screens looked a bit painful to work with.. might just be an uninformed impression though.
                  Anything Eclipse does that Creator doesn't that I should look into?
                  The first thing comes to my mind is that Eclipse has a powerful plugin system. But I can't decide whether it's more powerful than QtCreator's. For most tools I used within CDT, now it seems that they have also been integrated into QtCreator, i.e. svn, git, valgrind .. I just googled it.

Given that, I can only mention two features I like most for Eclipse:
                  The first one is its local history, which may be viewed as a mini-version control system. Whenever you save a file, it generates a history entry for that file automatically, quite handy.
                  The second one is then eclim plugin. You can use vim with eclipse, you can even control eclipse within your vim without even openning eclipse gui.

But the main drawback of Eclipse is that it is memory hungry. I upgrade my old thinkpad t60's memory to 2.5G to avoid memory swaping when opening large projects. I didn't mean to begin an IDE war, and am willing to hear QtCreator users to share their experience.
                  Last edited by PengZheng; 12 January 2014, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PengZheng View Post
                    CDT's parser sucks. Well "suck" may be a bit exaggerated, but it's nothing compared to QtCreator (which uses LLVM/clang afaik). I tried a shitload of IDEs for work on a ~1 million line C++ project and CDT just failed parsing it whole. Therefore code completion was worthless - which makes the IDE useless. If I don't have code completion/hints/etc. I might as well use vim, emacs or sublime text (although ST does have a SublimeClang plugin, so .....).

Anyway: QtCreator worked just fine with that source. It's even pretty forgiving. If it can't parse a certain include, you don't have code completion for that particular thing, but everything else is still handled fine.

Now I'm waiting for JetBrains to get their C++ IDE out the door. I love IDEA for my Java, Python and Scala projects and if the C++ part will be even half as good, I'm sold :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X