Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots Of X.Org GLAMOR Improvements Planned

Phoronix: Lots Of X.Org GLAMOR Improvements Planned

Eric Anholt at Intel has been devoting much time recently to cleaning up and improving GLAMOR to make it possible to have fast and reliable 2D acceleration via OpenGL within the X.Org world while using a device independent driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All the videos
    http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2014/

Apparently none about Wayland.

Comment

I think the idea is to use Glamor on all hardware with XWayland, which explains why an Intel guy is interested in working on it.

Comment

adding X-Video overlay support
        Glamor already has working XV support (albeit its teary), "X-Video overlay" means something else?

On r600g glamor is perfectly stable and performance wise is just like exa. It has some rough edges such as transparent gtk2 tray icons if no compositor is used (on xfce at least) and some graphic corruption (changed letters here and there) on Firefox/Seamonkey (the original letters come back if the area in question is refreshed by selection or if its alink, by hovering over it) and the hovered menu item text in Libreoffice has the same color as the selector. All in all, excepting the gtk2 icon issue the problems are hard to notice.

Comment

MP4?

What the heck is Linux.Conf.Au 2014 doing posting MP4 video files with H264 and AAC? I'd love to look at some of them, but I have no idea what these obscure proprietary file formats are...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            What the heck is Linux.Conf.Au 2014 doing posting MP4 video files with H264 and AAC? I'd love to look at some of them, but I have no idea what these obscure proprietary file formats are...
            That's what happens when you live under a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              That's what happens when you live under a rock.
              You mean Linux.Conf.Au, right?

Comment

I'm curious, do the SI cards actually have dedicated 2d coprocessors that are used in the Catalyst driver?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  I'm curious, do the SI cards actually have dedicated 2d coprocessors that are used in the Catalyst driver?
                  No, AFAIK the last AMD card to have a 2d unit was r500. I presume you meant 2d accel and not video accel.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    No, AFAIK the last AMD card to have a 2d unit was r500. I presume you meant 2d accel and not video accel.
                    That is what I meant. Good to know, so the only real downside to glamor is that it is implemented in terms of opengl rather than in terms of native gpu primitives?

Comment

Working...
                    X