Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cities In Motion Is Steaming Along On Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,639

    Default Cities In Motion Is Steaming Along On Linux

    Phoronix: Cities In Motion Is Steaming Along On Linux

    For those that missed it, Cities in Motion and Cities in Motion 2 were both released for Linux this week via Steam...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2ODA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default Cities in Motion sale

    There is a sale for CiM and DLCs here: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundl...motion-bundle/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Is there a Godzilla mod? That was one of my favourite things in Psychonauts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    96

    Default

    The game runs pretty well with the open drivers. I am using CiM 2 with a Radeon HD 7870 with radeonsi (11 January oibaf's packages recompiled with llvm 3.5) with almost everything maxed out and it plays quite smoothly (v-sync off).
    There are a few bugs, however (check this link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/225420...003048750/#p10). Namely, using the camera with the mouse middle button breaks the game (although the cam can be moved with the keyboard arrows) and sometimes (randomly) the menus of the game show incorrectly (the menu shows the background colour and no buttons neither text is showed). These issues seem to be happening both with the free drivers and with the blobs.
    Anyhow, I am really thankful to the devs and to Paradox. In fact Paradox is shaping a great Linux games catalogue!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobu View Post
    Is there a Godzilla mod? That was one of my favourite things in Psychonauts.
    Having heard many horrible things about CIM through the Steam reviews, I think that a Godzilla mod would be the one and only reason I would pony up money for the games. Come to think of it, why doesn't someone just make a game where you design a monster and it runs around destroying cities and stuff? I'd pay money for it!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Having heard many horrible things about CIM through the Steam reviews, I think that a Godzilla mod would be the one and only reason I would pony up money for the games. Come to think of it, why doesn't someone just make a game where you design a monster and it runs around destroying cities and stuff? I'd pay money for it!
    And you just watch glorious 30min video clips of your monster rampaging with no control?

    FWIW I had a similar idea for a mobile space mmo, the server would render every battle in glorious fullhd and then stream to the client. Guess why it was never made

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tromsų, Norway @ 69°North
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsa1983 View Post
    The game runs pretty well with the open drivers. I am using CiM 2 with a Radeon HD 7870 with radeonsi (11 January oibaf's packages recompiled with llvm 3.5) with almost everything maxed out and it plays quite smoothly (v-sync off).
    There are a few bugs, however (check this link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/225420...003048750/#p10). Namely, using the camera with the mouse middle button breaks the game (although the cam can be moved with the keyboard arrows) and sometimes (randomly) the menus of the game show incorrectly (the menu shows the background colour and no buttons neither text is showed). These issues seem to be happening both with the free drivers and with the blobs.
    Anyhow, I am really thankful to the devs and to Paradox. In fact Paradox is shaping a great Linux games catalogue!
    Turning on windowed mode resolved all graphical glitches i had. Runs like a charm.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tromsų, Norway @ 69°North
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsa1983 View Post
    The game runs pretty well with the open drivers. I am using CiM 2 with a Radeon HD 7870 with radeonsi (11 January oibaf's packages recompiled with llvm 3.5) with almost everything maxed out and it plays quite smoothly (v-sync off).
    There are a few bugs, however (check this link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/225420...003048750/#p10). Namely, using the camera with the mouse middle button breaks the game (although the cam can be moved with the keyboard arrows) and sometimes (randomly) the menus of the game show incorrectly (the menu shows the background colour and no buttons neither text is showed). These issues seem to be happening both with the free drivers and with the blobs.
    Anyhow, I am really thankful to the devs and to Paradox. In fact Paradox is shaping a great Linux games catalogue!
    I had the same issues as you and solved them by running the game in windowed mode. Now it runs like a charm.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    Having heard many horrible things about CIM through the Steam reviews, I think that a Godzilla mod would be the one and only reason I would pony up money for the games. Come to think of it, why doesn't someone just make a game where you design a monster and it runs around destroying cities and stuff? I'd pay money for it!
    I was thinking first person; actually the Psychonauts world is more inspired by Calvin & Hobbes than anything else. Your idea sounds like a theme park simulator for monsters.

  10. #10

    Default

    tried the game with the Nvidia drivers on Kubuntu 13.10: as already been reported, with game in full screen rotating the camera with the mouse breaks. Looks like input control could use some love. This happened only with KDE though. Running from openbox works as expected, so I guess it is fighting with advanced WM only. Didn't tried with something else other then KDE and openbox.

    I also tried with the Intel open source driver. Water is not rendered at all, you just see the bottom of the sea. Reported both bug on the Paradox ticketing system, let's see if they will do some work to provide a fix. And btw you need to try many time to start the game when using the Intel driver. no less then 4 out of 5 tries ends up with the game not starting at all.

    I will try playing in windowed mode and see if it works better as reported already.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •