Radeon VRAM Optimizations Coming, But Help Is Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GamingOnLinux has also covered this:
    Lauri Kasanen wrote into Phoronix to request help in gathering information on the r600g open source AMD graphics driver.

Comment

Nice. I think that covers all the sites with technical Linux audience interested in graphics, all two

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Radeon VRAM Optimizations Coming, But Help Is Needed

Got a workload that runs badly on the r600g Radeon Gallium3D driver? You can help fix it! Optimizations are coming to the open-source Radeon Linux driver for video memory usage...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2Nzk
        Hi, I have a laptop with a rv710and 512mb vram, so I guess it's the perfect candidate for you.
        I have however, one problem with it: the cpu cooling is far too weak. I use TurionPowerControl to enable C1E and htc at startup, if not (and this is a problem in recovery when bypassing sysinit) I can guarantee it ends in an mce followed by a kernel shutdown.
        But when it's jumping in and out of htc slowdown, won't the results of your research be severely affected by this malfunction? I don't want to post corrupt data

Comment

I try to help however I have couple questions.

At first I use Wsnipex MESA ppa as I mainly use XBMC and Oibaf's PPA not always worked with it.

Question 1.
          Do I need to purge Wsnipex PPA before I execute

sudo add-apt-repository ppaibaf/graphics-drivers
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Question 2.
          Do I need to restart my desktop before/after update to Oibaf's ppa?

Question 3.
          I have Steam games however I do not know when my steam library stored. Where is it? (default)

Question 4.
          How and where I need to setup the environment variable?

I know it is basic questions, but not everybody experts here. THANK YOU/

Comment

Originally posted by LN17 View Post
            I try to help however I have couple questions.

At first I use Wsnipex MESA ppa as I mainly use XBMC and Oibaf's PPA not always worked with it.

Question 1.
            Do I need to purge Wsnipex PPA before I execute

sudo add-apt-repository ppaibaf/graphics-drivers
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Question 2.
            Do I need to restart my desktop before/after update to Oibaf's ppa?

Question 3.
            I have Steam games however I do not know when my steam library stored. Where is it? (default)

Question 4.
            How and where I need to setup the environment variable?

I know it is basic questions, but not everybody experts here. THANK YOU/
            1. Yes.
            2. All 3D apps started before the upgrade will still use the old driver, so if you want compiz to use the new drivers, 'yes'.

Comment

Are the patches compatible with mesa 10.0.2 ?

Comment

I've pushed a stats7 branch, rebased to work with the radeonsi naming changes, and added a 32-bit fix for LFS (2g file limit). Can any SI user test?

Originally posted by jsollie View Post
                Hi, I have a laptop with a rv710and 512mb vram, so I guess it's the perfect candidate for you.
                I have however, one problem with it: the cpu cooling is far too weak. I use TurionPowerControl to enable C1E and htc at startup, if not (and this is a problem in recovery when bypassing sysinit) I can guarantee it ends in an mce followed by a kernel shutdown.
                But when it's jumping in and out of htc slowdown, won't the results of your research be severely affected by this malfunction? I don't want to post corrupt data
                How big FPS jumps does it cause for you? A variance within 5% would be well acceptable, but 20% wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                  Are the patches compatible with mesa 10.0.2 ?
                  The latest (stats7) are definitely not, due to the SI renames. stats6 may work, untested.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    I've pushed a stats7 branch, rebased to work with the radeonsi naming changes, and added a 32-bit fix for LFS (2g file limit). Can any SI user test?
                    Produced https://anonfiles.com/file/1382dac3c...d2db9433ce51ee for me, seems to work.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      stats6 may work, untested.
                      No, damn.

Comment

Working...
                      X