Wine's Big Command Stream D3D Patch-Set Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnioWoess View Post
    Ahh. You wanna say that this tricks with wine works only for modern hardware and could give a boost only comparable to the previous poor results on it .
    Therefore, no chance to get same framerate even in HL2 then, which I have in Windows (wine - 40-160 winXP - 200-300)...
    It should work on old dual core CPUs too. It won't do any good on single core CPUs by design.

I have some ancient dual core athlon from 2006/2007. I haven't tested my code there yet, it's just one of the issues that needs my attention.

In case of HL2, I recommend to experiment with the game's multicore rendering option. Switching this on or off may show different results.

Comment

Originally posted by stefandoesinger View Post
      It should work on old dual core CPUs too. It won't do any good on single core CPUs by design.

I have some ancient dual core athlon from 2006/2007. I haven't tested my code there yet, it's just one of the issues that needs my attention.

In case of HL2, I recommend to experiment with the game's multicore rendering option. Switching this on or off may show different results.
      Good to hear it. Regaring multicore option - still nothing, all the same, enabled or disabled.

What about wine d3d libraries are they must be set to native or to built-ones? I have Codeweaver's crossover 13.0.1 (wine 1.7.4)

regedit options:

Comment

Originally posted by stefandoesinger
        text
        I want to thank you Stefan, and the guys at Crossover and guys at Wine for keeping this project running.

I myself tried this on EVE-Online and the results are awesome. Some reports that there are crashes with FGLRX drivers but hopefully there will be a fix for AMD users.

Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
          Currently I made a patch for 1.7.10, I try to apply it to wine-multimedia if it works I push it to the aur
          I tried the wine-multimedia + this with the other buffer patch but both the buffer and multimedia patchset was not working so well. However when I tried wine-multimedia-git with Stefans git it worked out quite nicely.

wine-multimedia-git + Stefans git and nVidia optimization gave quite a nice boost to performance with my game (EVE-Online)

Comment

Hi Stefan,

Not sure if you had a chance to look at it but I did some benchmarks on Morrowind performance that you asked about previously:

CSMT + threaded-ops = 31 fps
            CSMT = 20 fps
            threaded-ops without CSMT= 17 fps

However, not all points in the game seem to show the difference. Some will have essentially the same FPS with CSMT and threaded-ops on or off, probably due to being a less CPU heavy area of the game.

Morrowind is known to be notoriously unoptimised and heavy on resources (as well as being single threaded) so perhaps that is why there is an effect of using both.
            I later tested with the git repo and got the same results.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              Hi Stefan,

Not sure if you had a chance to look at it but I did some benchmarks on Morrowind performance that you asked about previously:

I later tested with the git repo and got the same results.
              Hi,

Yes, I've seen this. Quite interesting, when I have time I'll test Morrowind myself - right now I have plenty of other bugs to fix :-\ .

To all others reading this thread, I plan to push an update with a few bugfixes later today. One of those bugs made me wonder why this thing worked at all. Many thanks to Mathias Wein, who made me aware of one of those issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander View Post
                ... Some reports that there are crashes with FGLRX drivers but hopefully there will be a fix for AMD users.

Keep it up.
                If anything, CSMT has fixed my crashes with osu! on fglrx

Comment

Originally posted by Commander View Post
                  I want to thank you Stefan, and the guys at Crossover and guys at Wine for keeping this project running.

I myself tried this on EVE-Online and the results are awesome. Some reports that there are crashes with FGLRX drivers but hopefully there will be a fix for AMD users.

Keep it up.
                  Sweet! I play EVE Online under wine (sometimes, because I have some issues with stuck keys when switching between clients that I haven't found a fix for yet), so this is good to hear

Comment

Originally posted by stefandoesinger View Post
                    ...To all others reading this thread, I plan to push an update with a few bugfixes later today. One of those bugs made me wonder why this thing worked at all. Many thanks to Mathias Wein, who made me aware of one of those issues.
                    This is rather interesting. Would this mean better performance by some chance for things that did benefit from CSMT in some way?

Comment

What it comes down to is a revert of commit b00fcc3576c5def250ebe5a526224c0c6a29b414. It's broken and causes performance issues pretty much everywhere except on my system.

Comment

Working...
                      X