No announcement yet.

Getting VDPAU working through 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you can build everything from git to get the latest commits. I build mesa, kernel, drm for Debian 64 bit from git with checkinstall, no chrooting required. Only real issue is getting the 64 and i386 build dependencies right since most dev packages are not multiarch.

Comment

You can run this PPA on 14.04, no issues right now

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
      libg3dvl-mesa is a package only from my PPA, which currently only provides packages for 13.10. I'll plan to provide packages for 14.04 when it will be officially released.
      I have had no problems with this PPA or with PPAs in general on 14.04. I treat Ubuntu as a rolling release, and PPAs I update only when they too support the new release. Synaptic will choose the newer of the PPA or Ubuntu version, usually that will be the PPA one. Occasionally a newer-versioned Uubntu package will come out that is incompatable, I roll these back and pin them until the PPA catches up. Had to do that with xorg-edgers once, when Ubunty versions with early Mir suppport didn't work and had to be rolled back.

Needless to say, this sort of mixing requires that you know what you are doing-and that you fish downloaded packages out of /var/cache/apt/archives and save them in some organized way so rollback versions can always be found. I've done this for many years now with few more issues than the ones that come up with alpha releases anyway.

I've had VDPAU support on my systems and used it on system images running on single-core machines to play 1080p video since it first became available for radeon, at first using a Red Hat package as a tarball to extract to get the necessary libraries before libg3dvl-mesa was packaged as a .deb anywhere I knew of. Worked fine all the way back to the first DRM-next kernel to support it, with just one bug then and now: 1080p AVCHD files from my camera usually play just fine, but occasionally crash the GPU so a reboot is needed to get OpenGL running again. This never happens with mp4 files containing normal H264 streams, there is something almost but not properly supported in the files my camera makes. Nvidia's blog and cards won't support those files at all, while Radeon with VDPAU plays them most of the time on every r600/Evergreen card I've tested. Normal H264 playback is fantastic, even on a 2300MHZ AMD Athlon 64 single core.

Comment

Reported the bug? You could try to cut such a clip to one second, then play it on loop to get a crash; if so, upload that small file.

Comment

I guess you could also just download and install that .deb file, the libg3dvl-mesa package.

Comment

TheVDPAU drivers have been added to the official 14.04 repositories (nouveau, r600, radeonsi so far).
            Code:
            apt-get install libvdpau1-drivers-mesa
            For VA-API support also install vdpau-va-driver and add
            Code:
            VDPAU_DRIVER=r600 #or nouveau/radeonsi
            LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau
            to your .xsession

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1002224

Comment

Originally posted by Zapp! View Post
              TheVDPAU drivers have been added to the official 14.04 repositories (nouveau, r600, radeonsi so far).
              Wasn't that reverted later?

Comment

Originally posted by rthorntn View Post
                $ sudo vdpauinfo
                You don't need to use sudo to run vdpauinfo - it's best not to use sudo unless needed

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
                  Wasn't that reverted later?

Seems to have been reenabled.
                  At least it works fine on a fresh 14.04 install over here.

Comment

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=...685608598fa229
                    Seems to have been reenabled.
                    At least it works fine on a fresh 14.04 install over here.
                    Yeah, that seems about right. I noticed that libvdpau1-mesa-drivers showed up on my machines recently (mostly 13.10-based). That combined with kernel 3.13 made my llano-based HTPC much happier (DPM + VDPAU = Happy).

Comment

Code:
                      apt-get install libvdpau1-drivers-mesa
                      For VA-API support also install vdpau-va-driver and add
                      Code:
                      VDPAU_DRIVER=r600 #or nouveau/radeonsi
                      LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau
                      to your .xsession

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1002224
                      Thank you, it was renamed to 'mesa-vdpau-drivers' for the record.

So happy they finally included it in a mainstream repo, OIBAF is awesome, but PPAs are generally annoying long-term.

Comment

Working...
                      X