Any C# IDE for Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any C# IDE for Linux?

I went to download MonoDevelop and they have completely dropped all Linux support. I knew Xamarin Studio didn't support Linux, but I'm surprised that even MonoDevelop doesn't run on Linux at all.

I know Java has first class Linux support and all the IDEs run on Linux, but I'd like to try out a few C# libraries.

There appears to be not much choice, besides using a text editor or Eclipse with C# plugins.

In addition, recent versions of MonoDevelop are packaged for popular Linux distros.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
      I went to download MonoDevelop and they have completely dropped all Linux support. I knew Xamarin Studio didn't support Linux, but I'm surprised that even MonoDevelop doesn't run on Linux at all.

I know Java has first class Linux support and all the IDEs run on Linux, but I'd like to try out a few C# libraries.
      Aaaaand where did you get the idea that MonoDevelop has dropped Linux support?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Aaaaand where did you get the idea that MonoDevelop has dropped Linux support?

The site is quite clear that they only offer downloads for Windows and Macintosh.

Comment

http://monodevelop.com/Download

The site is quite clear that they only offer downloads for Windows and Macintosh.
          That would be because like most software projects they leave Linux package creation up to the individual distributions, you can still compile it from source if you wish and you can get it off the OBS if you want binary packages. You should probably set up an openSUSE VM if you want to test out mono stuff though because it has the best support in terms of binary distributions.

Comment

I would recommend you to take MonoDevelop from Git and build it from source. It may take 1 hour of work, maybe two hours, but if it works, you get a non-xamarin branded build. Also, if you succeed, as I did like 4 months ago, you can try to make a package for your distribution if is not supported.

Also, if you can afford a VM, you can try Debian Jessie which includes a modern MonoDevelop 4.+ version.

Comment

Most distributions make monodevelop package.

Comment

http://monodevelop.com/Download

You will be very hard-pressed to find any FOSS applications that offer binary package downloads other than Steam, Google (Chrome / Chromium), Firefox, Opera, Java, IntelliJ, Netbeans and Eclipse (and a few others which I cannot exactly remember off the top of my head) because the distribution is expected to build up the source code and package the binary for inclusion in its repositories.

And rolling your own copy of MonoDevelop should not be too difficult; they even have the dependencies (especially GTK#) bundled together with the IDE in their Git repository.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  You will be very hard-pressed to find any FOSS applications that offer binary package downloads other than Steam, Google (Chrome / Chromium), Firefox, Opera, Java, IntelliJ, Netbeans and Eclipse (and a few others which I cannot exactly remember off the top of my head) because the distribution is expected to build up the source code and package the binary for inclusion in its repositories.
                  Regardless, if it's actively maintained, it should be in the repos or have clear instructions on the web site.

They have clear instructions and direct binary downloads for Win/Mac.

On the download page, for Ubuntu, it says, "Packages for MonoDevelop 4.2.2 not yet available. The latest available version is MonoDevelop 2.6.0.1"

That doesn't look like supported Linux software.

BTW, I wouldn't call Steam FOSS. Can you actually download the Steam source code?

Comment

Regardless, if it's actively maintained, it should be in the repos or have clear instructions on the web site.

They have clear instructions and direct binary downloads for Win/Mac.

On the download page, for Ubuntu, it says, "Packages for MonoDevelop 4.2.2 not yet available. The latest available version is MonoDevelop 2.6.0.1"

That doesn't look like supported Linux software.

BTW, I wouldn't call Steam FOSS. Can you actually download the Steam source code?
                    So Ubuntu is extreamly lazy with packing new versions (if the information is correct)? I can not see how this has anything todo with if monodevelop support linux. Cry to the ubuntu maintainer, make your own package or switch distro.

Comment

Working...
                    X