Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like Next On Phoronix In 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mum1989 View Post
    so create equivalent of Fraps on GNU/linux
    It already exists. Marek Olš?k created it some month ago:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You just have to launch a game like this:
    $ GALLIUM_HUD="fps;requested-VRAM+requested-GTT" /usr/local/games/etqw/etqw

This will launch "Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars" and displaying the FPS and the VRAM usage.
    Note that ETQW have already a FPS counter embedded.

But you can use it for Steam games too:
    $ GALLIUM_HUD="fps;requested-VRAM+requested-GTT" steam

Note that unfortunatly the VRAM usage is not supported on nouveau (tested with nv50 on a GeForce 210).

Maybe somebody can develop something that saves the FPS from the HUD and import them to PTS so that PTS can benchmarks any commercial game?
    Last edited by whitecat; 12 January 2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Please benchmark low-end CPU too! eg. Celeron/Pentium G vs Sempron/Athlon X2/X4.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      * maybe add a few other things like NICs/WLAN chips, storage chips or something. Phoronix is very focused on pure benchmarking, but if something runs at all would be interesting, too. E.g. silly chips from Broadcomm or Marvell.
      +1, benchmarks Network chip, USB3 chip, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
        It already exists. Marek Ol??k created it some month ago:
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You just have to launch a game like this:
        $ GALLIUM_HUD="fps;requested-VRAM+requested-GTT" /usr/local/games/etqw/etqw

This will launch "Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars" and displaying the FPS and the VRAM usage.
        Note that ETQW have already a FPS counter embedded.

But you can use it for Steam games too:
        $ GALLIUM_HUD="fps;requested-VRAM+requested-GTT" steam

Note that unfortunatly the VRAM usage is not supported on nouveau (tested with nv50 on a GeForce 210).

Maybe somebody can develop something that saves the FPS from the HUD and import them to PTS so that PTS can benchmarks any commercial game?
        That still doesn't solve issues of automation of the games in a reliable manner... Dumping the Gallium3D HUD information is also only a stop-gap measure since it doesn't work universally for all drivers and zero support for Intel / NVIDIA blob / Catalyst.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, maybe you can write some more about ARM hardware and test them. Things coming to my mind are Tegra Note 7 (ARM A15) or utilite.

Also, the new NUC systems with Haswell are interesting

Metro 2033 had a benchmark mode. Are you in contact with 4A Games to get that also to their Linux-version?

Comment

Originally posted by Asariati View Post
            Michael, maybe you can write some more about ARM hardware and test them. Things coming to my mind are Tegra Note 7 (ARM A15) or utilite.
            I happen to have a Utilite review sample coming but for other ARM hardware that's Android-only or doesn't have a decent Linux stack for benchmarking, I'm not interested in.

Metro 2033 had a benchmark mode. Are you in contact with 4A Games to get that also to their Linux-version?
            It's not present in the Linux version and until it is it won't be tested; I don't have time to do lobbying efforts to get the benchmark mode in the Linux version. If people are interested they can go lobby the developers/publisher.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              It's not present in the Linux version and until it is it won't be tested; I don't have time to do lobbying efforts to get the benchmark mode in the Linux version. If people are interested they can go lobby the developers/publisher.
              Would you put up a news item for this, so more people notice will notice and contact 4A Games?

Comment

Would you put up a news item for this, so more people notice will notice and contact 4A Games?
                Michael Larabel

Comment

What I'd like next is for Phoronix to cater more to my personal interests, naturally

So, more articles on graphics & audio software on Linux. IIRC there have been some articles about GIMP and other graphics software (Darktable, Blender) on Phoronix before, but there could be more. Krita needs and deserves to be made better known.

And there's barely any articles (I don't remember even one) or news about audio software. Doesn't even need to be latest top-secret insider information, even if it's just "this is a cool new thing you might want to check out" it'd still be nice.

Comment

Keep up the good work!

First up - you are doing a great job - keep it up!

Here is my 2c worth... General things
                    • Updated website theme, consistant across all phoronix sites.
                    • better phoronix premium experience (currently every visit to the front page means I get ads again)
                    • perhaps an android/ios app with a paid subscription (that hooks in with premium)?

Ideas that I think that will help you get more high quality articles for a lot less work than writing them yourself
                    • High Quality User submitted articles, I have seen a few articles posted by others and they are generally quite a good read - it would be nice to have one of these a month. The benefit of this is that the users project will get quite a bit of exposure and therefore is probably worth them taking the time in writing a nice essay/article.
                    • There was an article not long ago that highlighted ways for new developers to pick up easy tasks (I think it was mesa?). I feel that this is a really good thing and could be leveraged. For example, In return for a High Quality article from someone in the Open Source community, you could feature their projects "list of easy things to do" page on the site.
                    • Feature user reviews from the forums. You have a very large technical user base, make them work for you. If they are all too busy trying to make the front page by writing good articles and reviewing new hardware - maybe the trolling will be abated a little (wishful thinking, i know)

Comment

Desktop comparisons for 3D games. FPS with various settings etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X