Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Qt5 Opera-Inspired Browser To Ring In The New Year

Default A Qt5 Opera-Inspired Browser To Ring In The New Year

Phoronix: A Qt5 Opera-Inspired Browser To Ring In The New Year

Launching on 1 January 2014 to kick-off the new year is yet another open-source web-browser. What this latest open-source browser is about is having a new Qt5-based web-browser for power users that's inspired by the old Opera browser...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU1NjU

Thanks for coverage. ;-)

If someone has any questions then you can ask here too.
    Early feedback and comments are welcomed. :-)

Default Wayland?

Does it work in Wayland?

uid313, it should (does not pull anything outside Qt 5.2 currently, does not use QtX11Extras) but wasn't tested yet (so far it was tested on 64 and 32 bit Linux and 32 bit Windows XP).

Currently my primary focus is development, when there will be time for first beta (hopefully in early March) I'll switch to polishing up (including margins and sizes in GUI) and more intensive testing. ;-)

Red face

This is incredibly awesome! Thanks to Michael for posting about this, and to Emdek for working on this project! I'll be compiling it when I have some more spare time! I'm still using Opera 12 in the meantime.

Man, I just tested about 15 web browsers for Android, and Opera Mobile was the most useless of them all, really, even Yandex.Browser that has the Turbo from Opera is somewhat better! I wonder how could they have forked Chromium and still make one browser that is more useless than Chrome!

This is incredibly awesome! Thanks to Michael for posting about this, and to Emdek for working on this project! I'll be compiling it when I have some more spare time! I'm still using Opera 12 in the meantime.

Man, I just tested about 15 web browsers for Android, and Opera Mobile was the most useless of them all, really, even Yandex.Browser that has the Turbo from Opera is somewhat better! I wonder how could they have forked Chromium and still make a browser that is more useless than Chrome!

This is really good news. I only switched from Opera 12.16 to Chromium 2 weeks ago, simply because the easy of use and UI of Opera is still formidable. Of course, its age was starting to show in various ways (compatibility, speed, etc), but I had all sorts of issues and bug problems with chromium that I never had with Opera. I look forwarding to trying out Otter, I hope it will be a successful endeavor.

It sure does look interesting. So it is up to a time to show how it will continue to develop. In meantime, we have QupZilla as fine and mature Qt5 web browser.

I really hope this project succeeds. After ditching Opera 12 cause it's just too incompatible and crashy, I can't find any browser that would satisfy me. I currently use Chromium but it's a pain, Firefox is unusable, Konqueror and rekonq have their own problems, Qupzilla was promising, but it can't handle my bookmarks properly, the list goes on. I wished for Opera to switch engines to webkit, but what they did is an abomination. Ever since I can't browse the net comfortably :-/.

@Emdek - grab the flattr for your project https://flattr.com/thing/2438041

Quote Originally Posted by Saverios View Post
    but I had all sorts of issues and bug problems with chromium that I never had with Opera
    Can you tell me about the problems? I'm curious because the only bug I have encountered so far is font problems on Wikipedia, and exclusively on Wikipedia(except flash, some graphics problem but i guess that's not chromium's fault).