Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Mozilla Updates To Rust 0.9 Programming Language

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,651

    Default Mozilla Updates To Rust 0.9 Programming Language

    Phoronix: Mozilla Updates To Rust 0.9 Programming Language

    Mozilla developers working on the interesting Rust programming language have updated it to version 0.9 on Thursday as they continue adding new features and functionality to this language that one day could be powering Firefox and other applications...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2Njg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I really like this initiative. If we could replace all C and C++ with Rust some common security problems would go away.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Out of the 3 major contenders in the new system level languages category (D, Go and Rust) this is the one that I think shows the most potential as something I would like to replace C with. It is still a bit early yet to adopt for my taste, that might change once it reaches 1.0 and the dust starts to settle.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Out of the 3 major contenders in the new system level languages category (D, Go and Rust) this is the one that I think shows the most potential as something I would like to replace C with. It is still a bit early yet to adopt for my taste, that might change once it reaches 1.0 and the dust starts to settle.
    See, that's the thing, I don't see Rust and Go as system-level languages. To me, it seems like this:
    D is designed to replace System-Level C code (Kernels, Drivers that aren't written in ASM, etc)
    Go is designed to replace Application-Level C code (Browsers, music players, etc)
    Rust is designed to supersede C++ code in most areas, but seems to focus quite a bit on the Application-Level over System-Level

    At least that's what I've seen so far. This is why I don't get it when people are arguing about D vs Go vs Rust; they're not designed for the same thing (even Go and Rust, as they do things in very different ways internally)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    209

    Default

    According to the guy who started the language, it is meant as a system language that will compete with C and C++; here is an interview with him.

    I can't see anything that C or C++ offers that make them more suited for system level uses than Rust. Now I should say that I don't see the Linux kernel moving away from C any time soon and I personally don't limit my definition of system level programs to just the kernel/drivers. In more general terms, I am looking at it as a language I can turn to when higher level languages like Python and such aren't good enough performance wise for the task at hand. Which is generally the only time I turn to C the way it is and why I am looking at Rust as a replacement for the niche C fills for me now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,029

    Default Underrated?

    Rust seems pretty cool.
    Is it underrated?
    Perhaps the most underrated language?

    Wonder if the Linux kernel could be ported to Rust.
    Would it make sense?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    See, that's the thing, I don't see Rust and Go as system-level languages. To me, it seems like this:
    D is designed to replace System-Level C code (Kernels, Drivers that aren't written in ASM, etc)
    Go is designed to replace Application-Level C code (Browsers, music players, etc)
    Rust is designed to supersede C++ code in most areas, but seems to focus quite a bit on the Application-Level over System-Level

    At least that's what I've seen so far. This is why I don't get it when people are arguing about D vs Go vs Rust; they're not designed for the same thing (even Go and Rust, as they do things in very different ways internally)
    We are a systems language with a focus on systems. We're even working on getting our standard library working in kernel space. You would never be able to write a browser in Go because of the garbage collector, lack of inheritance, etc. The performance would just be plain terrible. Writing kernels in D is possible but the language's safety depends on a garbage collector. It's a cool project though!

    Rust is the only language in its space. Compiler-guaranteed zero-overhead memory safety. Someone in IRC is porting their multitasking kernel to Rust and has only had a single triple fault so far.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmr~ View Post
    We are a systems language with a focus on systems. We're even working on getting our standard library working in kernel space. You would never be able to write a browser in Go because of the garbage collector, lack of inheritance, etc. The performance would just be plain terrible. Writing kernels in D is possible but the language's safety depends on a garbage collector. It's a cool project though!

    Rust is the only language in its space. Compiler-guaranteed zero-overhead memory safety. Someone in IRC is porting their multitasking kernel to Rust and has only had a single triple fault so far.
    Consider myself re-educated!

    Hey, at least I never thought Rust was a language to replace JavaScript like some people...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pajn View Post
    I really like this initiative. If we could replace all C and C++ with Rust some common security problems would go away.
    We're not a valid C++ replacement for certain uses of it. We lack templates, and templates are extremely powerful as an abstraction mechanism. Eigen or Boost could never exist for Rust, we simply don't have the expressive power. Of course, our type system makes up for it in other ways, but it rules us out in some categories of usage.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmr~ View Post
    We're not a valid C++ replacement for certain uses of it. We lack templates, and templates are extremely powerful as an abstraction mechanism. Eigen or Boost could never exist for Rust, we simply don't have the expressive power. Of course, our type system makes up for it in other ways, but it rules us out in some categories of usage.
    Hi cmr~, the Rust website mentions that it supports generics and metaprogramming, which I assumed to mean something comparable to C++ templates'. Is that not the case? What can templates do that Rust can't?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •