Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alt-Tab Will Return To Wayland's Weston 1.5

Hybrid View

Default Alt-Tab Will Return To Wayland's Weston 1.5

Phoronix: Alt-Tab Will Return To Wayland's Weston 1.5

Alt-tab support was removed from Wayland's Weston compositor last week, but it's set to reappear in the Wayland/Weston 1.5 release in a few months time. New alt-tab code has already been proposed...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2NDk

Alt-Tab, eh. Some pretty fancy shit they're working on. Perhaps they should shoot the Ubuntu guys an email and ask how it's done in Mir.

You can start now.

Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post
    Alt-Tab, eh. Some pretty fancy shit they're working on. Perhaps they should shoot the Ubuntu guys an email and ask how it's done in Mir.
    As I understand it Mir is completely irrelevant to this since Weston is only a reference compositor for Wayland and not something intended for end-users. Most other compositors already implement their own alt+tab support. But I guess you know this already and are just trying to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by not.sure View Post

You can start now.
    Ummm.... no.

Remember friends, don't feed the trolls. Also, you can block posts from them in your account options.
    -------------------

Ok, back on topic, its nice that the reference compositor now has alt-tab implemented. But I'm more curious in Razor-qt, XFCE, and KDE's progress in implementing Wayland support.

Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    Ummm.... no.

Remember friends, don't feed the trolls. Also, you can block posts from them in your account options.
    -------------------

Ok, back on topic, its nice that the reference compositor now has alt-tab implemented. But I'm more curious in Razor-qt, XFCE, and KDE's progress in implementing Wayland support.
    I'm not on the Razor-Qt mailing list but, from what I could see in the cross-posts on the LXDE mailing list, I got the impression they're probably going to focus first on the merged LXDE/Razor-Qt successor (currently being referred to as LXQt) while they wait to see if the KDE 5 version of KWin has a clean enough dependency separation and is light enough to serve LXQt's goals.

Nobody gives a damn whether some demo compositor can Alt - Tab or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Nobody gives a damn whether some demo compositor can Alt - Tab or not...
    Well, I do. I think that Weston is great, not just as reference compositor, but lightweight wm/de, something like Razor-Qt or LXDE.
    I think Weston is great just because they made it as simple as they could, and maybe it will be usable as wm/de.

Btw. Weston is best implementation of Wayland protocol we have sofar

Quote Originally Posted by ssokolow View Post
    I'm not on the Razor-Qt mailing list but, from what I could see in the cross-posts on the LXDE mailing list, I got the impression they're probably going to focus first on the merged LXDE/Razor-Qt successor (currently being referred to as LXQt) while they wait to see if the KDE 5 version of KWin has a clean enough dependency separation and is light enough to serve LXQt's goals.
    Isn't Openbox or Fluxbox ported yet to Wayland?

Super serious question here; Why cant ANY os do the ALT-TAB 'thingy' properly. Yes, big graphics hoopla. How far up and down the stack do the OGL ALT-TAB shenanigans go, though.

And DX if you feel like answering.

ALT-TABability-like functionality is my thing. I live by it. Work, games, things nerds watch to ....test VLC with. I like RAM. It's cheap and it does heaps of shit. I get upset when shit doesn't comply.

Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    Isn't Openbox or Fluxbox ported yet to Wayland?
    I doubt they will ever be. They are getting a small commit every two or three months, since at least two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Temlar View Post
    Btw. Weston is best implementation of Wayland protocol we have sofar
    Best, regarding what? It's pretty subjective what weighs the most here. Orbital is probably far better, although I haven't used either.