Thread: A Very Early Walkthrough Of Phoronix Test Suite 5.0

Hybrid View

Default A Very Early Walkthrough Of Phoronix Test Suite 5.0

Phoronix: A Very Early Walkthrough Of Phoronix Test Suite 5.0

Here's a look at the recent progress of the Phoronix Test Suite 5.0 user-interface...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2NTg

I think that you are doing a great work.

Thank you.

Default Awesome!

Now I can guesstimate how much longer the tests will take from afar.

It looks great you guys! It'll help a lot of people that are afraid of the terminal.

Just something that i don't like in the design. The dropdown menu in the center when you use the blue frame (ie last pic). Moving it to one of the corners (preferably right) would make it better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    It looks great you guys! It'll help a lot of people that are afraid of the terminal.
    For me personally it isn't so much being afraid of the terminal but rather not having the patience to figure out something that has so much content. What many computer users don't realize is GUIs and CLIs have their own personal advantages and disadvantages. For whatever reason, hardcore *nix users want to believe that a CLI can effectively do anything you want, and Windows users want to believe that CLI is archaic, user-unfriendly, and primitive. For something as vast as software, it is asinine to think there's a "1 size fits all" solution. A CLI is often better if you're intending automation or if the program only has a small handful of ways to use it (such as grep). A GUI is often better for a applications that offer dozens of specific features with specific ways of operating them, because everything you need to know is laid out in front of you. Considering the large content of PTS, a GUI is almost a necessity for new users.

Nice to see PTS finally getting a GUI (again).

Nice to see PTS finally getting a GUI (again).

I don't think you needed WebSockets though, since you probably don't need bidirectiontional communication, so you could have used <a href="http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/">Server-Sent Events</a> (EventSource) instead.