No announcement yet.

Darling Refreshed To Run OS X Binaries To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope I can play StarCraft 2 with better performance. The Windows version through Wine is slow, even with Nvidia's excellent drivers.
    Using the Mac version through Darling would probably work better, right?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      I hope I can play StarCraft 2 with better performance. The Windows version through Wine is slow, even with Nvidia's excellent drivers.
      Using the Mac version through Darling would probably work better, right?
      Why do you think it would work better? Surely that depends entirely on the relative quality of Darling vs Wine, and one of these is a well supported project for which a lot of performance work has been done - and the other is pretty new and struggling for manpower...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Why do you think it would work better? Surely that depends entirely on the relative quality of Darling vs Wine, and one of these is a well supported project for which a lot of performance work has been done - and the other is pretty new and struggling for manpower...
        Eliminating the need for DirectX to OpenGL translation should be beneficial from a performance standpoint. Currently, the Windows version of Starcraft II lacks OpenGL support:

For comparison, I noticed in Blizzard's other game, World of Warcraft, you can explicitly specify in a configuration file (C:/Program Files/World of Warcraft/WTF/config.wtf) to use OpenGL (SET gxApi "

Having said that, do not expect to be able to run the Mac OS X version of Starcraft II on Linux anytime soon. Darling has a long way to go before it will be able to do something like this.
        Last edited by ryao; 11 January 2014, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
          Eliminating the need for DirectX to OpenGL translation should be beneficial from a performance standpoint. Currently, the Windows version of Starcraft II lacks OpenGL support:
          True. But even with that translation penalty, I imagine it'd be many years (decades, even) before Darling was mature enough to not only run the Mac game, but to do so with performance even a fraction of that of Wine...

Comment

True. But even with that translation penalty, I imagine it'd be many years (decades, even) before Darling was mature enough to not only run the Mac game, but to do so with performance even a fraction of that of Wine...
            I did say "do not expect to be able to run the Mac OS X version of Starcraft II on Linux anytime soon. Darling has a long way to go before it will be able to do something like this.".

That being said, I will not attempt to speculate on performance of code that has not even been written yet.

Comment

Well, the extent of APIs used by most OS X games is quite low. The most critical path (OpenGL) needs no translation, so no risk of performance penalties there.

Comment

Working...
              X