Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Darling Refreshed To Run OS X Binaries To Linux

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    315

    Default

    I hope I can play StarCraft 2 with better performance. The Windows version through Wine is slow, even with Nvidia's excellent drivers.
    Using the Mac version through Darling would probably work better, right?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    I hope I can play StarCraft 2 with better performance. The Windows version through Wine is slow, even with Nvidia's excellent drivers.
    Using the Mac version through Darling would probably work better, right?
    Why do you think it would work better? Surely that depends entirely on the relative quality of Darling vs Wine, and one of these is a well supported project for which a lot of performance work has been done - and the other is pretty new and struggling for manpower...

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Why do you think it would work better? Surely that depends entirely on the relative quality of Darling vs Wine, and one of these is a well supported project for which a lot of performance work has been done - and the other is pretty new and struggling for manpower...
    Eliminating the need for DirectX to OpenGL translation should be beneficial from a performance standpoint. Currently, the Windows version of Starcraft II lacks OpenGL support:

    http://gaming.stackexchange.com/ques...ead-of-directx

    Having said that, do not expect to be able to run the Mac OS X version of Starcraft II on Linux anytime soon. Darling has a long way to go before it will be able to do something like this.
    Last edited by ryao; 01-11-2014 at 06:13 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    Eliminating the need for DirectX to OpenGL translation should be beneficial from a performance standpoint. Currently, the Windows version of Starcraft II lacks OpenGL support:
    True. But even with that translation penalty, I imagine it'd be many years (decades, even) before Darling was mature enough to not only run the Mac game, but to do so with performance even a fraction of that of Wine...

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    True. But even with that translation penalty, I imagine it'd be many years (decades, even) before Darling was mature enough to not only run the Mac game, but to do so with performance even a fraction of that of Wine...
    I did say "do not expect to be able to run the Mac OS X version of Starcraft II on Linux anytime soon. Darling has a long way to go before it will be able to do something like this.".

    That being said, I will not attempt to speculate on performance of code that has not even been written yet.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    True. But even with that translation penalty, I imagine it'd be many years (decades, even) before Darling was mature enough to not only run the Mac game, but to do so with performance even a fraction of that of Wine...
    Well, the extent of APIs used by most OS X games is quite low. The most critical path (OpenGL) needs no translation, so no risk of performance penalties there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •