No announcement yet.

ARM Allwinner A10, Cubieboard Come To Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is $25 shipping too that they don't tell you about so $84 is the real price.

Comment

Cubieboard correction.

There's three Cubieboards:

The Cubieboard original (or Cubieboard 1) has the Allwinner A10.
      The Cubieboard 2 has the Allwinner A20 (dual-core ARM7).
      The Cubeboard 3, aka the CubieTruck, is also sporting an Allwinner A20. (I have this one)

Comment

Coreboot is serious business

Originally posted by pgeorgi View Post
        In general, coreboot's ARM support is still under construction. There are a number of boards that are experimentally supported, but supporting more SoCs ensures that we build something for everything.

As for the user benefits, firmware is supposed to stay out of the way, so end users won't see much of them. For developers (which are also "users" of firmware code bases), coreboot offers different design decisions in a number of places: We try to separate hardware init from "user interface" (where uboot combines both), we try to keep the hardware init part small (I think that was one of the reasons why the Qi bootloader project was started, too), we try to keep vendor branches at a minimum, and finally we don't shy away from tree cleanups across all boards and architectures (since there are few decisions that truly stand the test of time - and hardware progress).

In the end we hope this provides a code base that is more pleasing to work with, but that's obviously both biased and a matter of taste :-)

This is a general statement, so I don't know which of these things motivated Alexandru to do the port (if any), but http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/co...ry/076972.html points at least to the cleanup thing... If in doubt, it was "because - why not?"
        With how ugly proprietary piece of shit firmwares, like AMI's and Award's garbage, seized computer market, anything open is a miracle, especially if it's so modular and universal as Coreboot. You can never have too much of it, so go forth boldly to other architectures, guys !

Comment

Originally posted by STrRedWolf View Post
          The Cubeboard 3, aka the CubieTruck, is also sporting an Allwinner A20. (I have this one)
          How is it working for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
            I have an Odroid-X, which I purchase last year. It's now been superseded by the Odroid-XU ($139):

...and the less expensive Odroid-U3 ($59):

As yet, no 64-bit Odroid board, but I would guess it will be available sometime in 2014. No idea what the price would be. I'm torn between upgrading to the XU now or waiting for a 64-bit board.
            The XU comes with a PowerVR GPU

What is the open source driver situation there?

Comment

I also have a cubietruck. I got it shortly before christmas and have been unable to compile a working kernel. Most annoying. It's running Debian Sid with the lubuntu kernel (3.4.61).

Otherwise it's an interesting little board. The 2GB of RAM and dual core processor make it quite capable. The simple "open" case is rather compact and includes screw holes to mount a 2.5" HDD/SSD. The SATA port is great for adding real storage, but being only a single port limits its usefulness as a server. A cluster of them could be interesting though.

Comment

The Dragonboard seems very cool. It is a pico-ITX board based on Snapdragon S4.
                ARM quad-core Krait CPU, 2GB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi. Too bad USB 2, not USB 3.
                Its the same stuff powering the Nexus 4 phone.
                Too bad its only available with Android support, they are working on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  The Dragonboard seems very cool. It is a pico-ITX board based on Snapdragon S4.
                  ARM quad-core Krait CPU, 2GB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi. Too bad USB 2, not USB 3.
                  Its the same stuff powering the Nexus 4 phone.
                  Too bad its only available with Android support, they are working on Linux support.
                  Nice find! There is a guide to get fedora onto it: https://github.com/freedreno/freedreno/wiki/Ifc6410

Comment

Uh, the Wandboard Quad model has three GPUs? What?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Uh, the Wandboard Quad model has three GPUs? What?
                      The other two are for OpenVG/2D stuff:
                      GPU Vivante GC 2000 for 3D + Vivante GC 355 for 2D (vector graphics) + Vivante GC 320 for 2D (composition)

Comment

Working...
                      X