Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Keeps Tuning F2FS File-System Performance

Phoronix: Samsung Keeps Tuning F2FS File-System Performance

It's been almost one and a half years since Samsung introduced the F2FS file-system. Samsung's game-plan for F2FS still isn't yet clear with not having seen any widespread flash deployments yet on consumer devices, but regardless, it's continuing to receive new improvements and features each Linux kernel update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Features still being planned/developed for Btrfs include...
    That should say F2FS, not Btrfs, right?

Comment

I use it on my SDHC cards and USB sticks and I like it.

Only thing missing is GRUB2's abiility to boot from it...

Comment

Motorola Moto X & G

Only massive deployment I heard of is for Moto X and G which are lauded for their impressive reactivity.

Now that PC/laptops are secondary I don't think the lack of a windows driver is really what is holding F2fs success back. I guess it is more about its young age, but 2014 looks good given that Google/motorola took the leap of faith. We should see more of it pretty soon, esp. with low spec Android and FirefoxOS devices which need to take advantage of such important and tested innovations.
        Ubuntu Touch would certainly benefit a lot from it too.

Comment

F2FS is (sadly) not included in Windows 7/8. Forget about adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            F2FS is (sadly) not included in Windows 7/8. Forget about adoption.
            Frankly I think Windows is beyond the point, esp. since WP8 is struggling to gain a real foothold.
            F2fs was designed with mobile and on-board devices in mind. Benefiting from it on your main SSD is great (if you can let your windows partition aside most of the day) but certainly secondary to the main challenge.
            So adoption is about manufacturers deciding it is safe to use it and boast about its advances.

Comment

I was more thinking USB Mass Storage devices. And for all those mobile devices that expose themself as USB mass storage devices, not MTP.

Using F2FS as main filesystem is crazy if you have ntfs as well IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by vk512 View Post
                Frankly I think Windows is beyond the point, esp. since WP8 is struggling to gain a real foothold.
                F2fs was designed with mobile and on-board devices in mind. Benefiting from it on your main SSD is great (if you can let your windows partition aside most of the day) but certainly secondary to the main challenge.
                So adoption is about manufacturers deciding it is safe to use it and boast about its advances.
                What about USB flash drives and SD cards?

Comment

Originally posted by vk512 View Post
                  Only massive deployment I heard of is for Moto X and G which are lauded for their impressive reactivity.

Now that PC/laptops are secondary I don't think the lack of a windows driver is really what is holding F2fs success back. I guess it is more about its young age, but 2014 looks good given that Google/motorola took the leap of faith. We should see more of it pretty soon, esp. with low spec Android and FirefoxOS devices which need to take advantage of such important and tested innovations.
                  Ubuntu Touch would certainly benefit a lot from it too.
                  It's not that secondary. If you can't connect the phone to your PC/laptop, the phone is not that useful. Think of your music collection. That's important for most consumers. If they can't connect the phone to the computer, they have to effectively re-download it all to take it with them, which, disregarding piracy, means money. What do you want high capacity storage for if you will only use online content?

Also, there are the other options other posters pointed out, which require drivers for PCs. Most of which use Windows.
                  In fact, the reason I don't use it myself in my pendrives is I have to interoperate with Windows users.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    It's not that secondary. If you can't connect the phone to your PC/laptop, the phone is not that useful. Think of your music collection. That's important for most consumers. If they can't connect the phone to the computer, they have to effectively re-download it all to take it with them, which, disregarding piracy, means money. What do you want high capacity storage for if you will only use online content?

Also, there are the other options other posters pointed out, which require drivers for PCs. Most of which use Windows.
                    In fact, the reason I don't use it myself in my pendrives is I have to interoperate with Windows users.
                    I literally never plug my phone into a computer unless its for development.

I use Google Music and Google+ for music and photos. Even if you don't want to use those online services there's still no reason to need to plug your phone in, before I used online services I transferred everything over WiFi.

Comment

Working...
                    X