Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Samsung Keeps Tuning F2FS File-System Performance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,812

    Default Samsung Keeps Tuning F2FS File-System Performance

    Phoronix: Samsung Keeps Tuning F2FS File-System Performance

    It's been almost one and a half years since Samsung introduced the F2FS file-system. Samsung's game-plan for F2FS still isn't yet clear with not having seen any widespread flash deployments yet on consumer devices, but regardless, it's continuing to receive new improvements and features each Linux kernel update...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2NDA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Features still being planned/developed for Btrfs include...
    That should say F2FS, not Btrfs, right?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I use it on my SDHC cards and USB sticks and I like it.

    Only thing missing is GRUB2's abiility to boot from it...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    29

    Post Motorola Moto X & G

    Only massive deployment I heard of is for Moto X and G which are lauded for their impressive reactivity.

    Now that PC/laptops are secondary I don't think the lack of a windows driver is really what is holding F2fs success back. I guess it is more about its young age, but 2014 looks good given that Google/motorola took the leap of faith. We should see more of it pretty soon, esp. with low spec Android and FirefoxOS devices which need to take advantage of such important and tested innovations.
    Ubuntu Touch would certainly benefit a lot from it too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    F2FS is (sadly) not included in Windows 7/8. Forget about adoption.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    F2FS is (sadly) not included in Windows 7/8. Forget about adoption.
    Frankly I think Windows is beyond the point, esp. since WP8 is struggling to gain a real foothold.
    F2fs was designed with mobile and on-board devices in mind. Benefiting from it on your main SSD is great (if you can let your windows partition aside most of the day) but certainly secondary to the main challenge.
    So adoption is about manufacturers deciding it is safe to use it and boast about its advances.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    459

    Default

    I was more thinking USB Mass Storage devices. And for all those mobile devices that expose themself as USB mass storage devices, not MTP.

    Using F2FS as main filesystem is crazy if you have ntfs as well IMHO.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vk512 View Post
    Frankly I think Windows is beyond the point, esp. since WP8 is struggling to gain a real foothold.
    F2fs was designed with mobile and on-board devices in mind. Benefiting from it on your main SSD is great (if you can let your windows partition aside most of the day) but certainly secondary to the main challenge.
    So adoption is about manufacturers deciding it is safe to use it and boast about its advances.
    What about USB flash drives and SD cards?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vk512 View Post
    Only massive deployment I heard of is for Moto X and G which are lauded for their impressive reactivity.

    Now that PC/laptops are secondary I don't think the lack of a windows driver is really what is holding F2fs success back. I guess it is more about its young age, but 2014 looks good given that Google/motorola took the leap of faith. We should see more of it pretty soon, esp. with low spec Android and FirefoxOS devices which need to take advantage of such important and tested innovations.
    Ubuntu Touch would certainly benefit a lot from it too.
    It's not that secondary. If you can't connect the phone to your PC/laptop, the phone is not that useful. Think of your music collection. That's important for most consumers. If they can't connect the phone to the computer, they have to effectively re-download it all to take it with them, which, disregarding piracy, means money. What do you want high capacity storage for if you will only use online content?

    Also, there are the other options other posters pointed out, which require drivers for PCs. Most of which use Windows.
    In fact, the reason I don't use it myself in my pendrives is I have to interoperate with Windows users.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    It's not that secondary. If you can't connect the phone to your PC/laptop, the phone is not that useful. Think of your music collection. That's important for most consumers. If they can't connect the phone to the computer, they have to effectively re-download it all to take it with them, which, disregarding piracy, means money. What do you want high capacity storage for if you will only use online content?

    Also, there are the other options other posters pointed out, which require drivers for PCs. Most of which use Windows.
    In fact, the reason I don't use it myself in my pendrives is I have to interoperate with Windows users.
    I literally never plug my phone into a computer unless its for development.

    I use Google Music and Google+ for music and photos. Even if you don't want to use those online services there's still no reason to need to plug your phone in, before I used online services I transferred everything over WiFi.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •