Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    Lolwut.
    Heh, great, good that I was trying to look smart ;-)

I never used an RPG Maker newer than 2000, so it is enough to support this "Ruby Game Scripting System" thingy to get games running under Linux? No support for proprietary map/database files needed?
    Or is everything used by RPGMXP internally written in RGSS? oO

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      What about a 100% compatible binding? I would prefer a more compatibility goal, so we can play all RPG Maker XP games under Linux natively
      Sure. If someone is willing to put in the work to wade through the dead swamp that is MRI 1.8 and make it all compile, I'd sure accept patches.
      In the end you will never get 100% because some games will use the Win32API directly (such as ToTheMoon), and you will have to port these parts over.

Comment

There's also http://rpgboss.com/ that is a promising (open source) RPG maker clone.

PS: this is my first post on Phoronix, I'm sorry if I'm jumping the presentations but it is late and I wanted to post this No, I have nothing to do with rpgboss or his creator

Comment

Originally posted by davcri View Post
          There's also http://rpgboss.com/ that is a promising (open source) RPG maker clone.

PS: this is my first post on Phoronix, I'm sorry if I'm jumping the presentations but it is late and I wanted to post this No, I have nothing to do with rpgboss or his creator
          AGPL3, written in Java, and no apparent effort to act as a porting aid for an existing RPG Maker version? No wonder it never came to my attention before.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            AGPL3, written in Java, and no apparent effort to act as a porting aid for an existing RPG Maker version? No wonder it never came to my attention before.
            Still better than the GNU RPG Engine
            rpgboss is written in Scala using libgdx framework that is written in C/C++; only the API is in Java and, because of that, it is one of the fastest gaming multimedia library at the moment. Moreover you can easily get various target platforms such as Android, iOs, Windows, Linux, OSX and web application.

Comment

Originally posted by davcri View Post
              Still better than the GNU RPG Engine
              rpgboss is written in Scala using libgdx framework that is written in C/C++; only the API is in Java and, because of that, it is one of the fastest gaming multimedia library at the moment. Moreover you can easily get various target platforms such as Android, iOs, Windows, Linux, OSX and web application.
              Better, but I still prefer to leave my options open in ways AGPL complicates and I'm still not a big fan of the Java experience on a system where the firmware, nVidia binary drivers, Flash, Dropbox, and oDesk Team are the only non-libre, non-game components.

Last I checked, the libre-licensed JVM was a bit of a hog... especially when there were no other Java applications to share the memory footprint of the libraries.
              Last edited by ssokolow; 29 December 2014, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X