Valve Ships An AMD Preview Driver For SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can download that beta here btw.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Still catalyst is faster no matter how much that hurts some FLOSS fanboys feelings.
      Catalyst doesn't hurt FOSS fanboys because those tend to stick to Gallium anyway without having to go through the agony of using Catalyst, like I did. I am now happy to give away a big chunk of my GPU power for something that actually works.

Comment

I was actually looking at 6970 prices on ebay and they are so ridiculous ($150 - $250). I figure by 2016 the 7xxx cards should be nearly optimized, so it seems r600 isn't really an option anymore, or at least right now. Maybe I'm missing some 69xx cards at better rates.

Because in terms of raw architecture, the 280x (which is just a rebranded 7970) costs the same MSRP as 6970s but should be delivering tons more performance. Of course, right now, those SI cards are inflated to the sky from LTC miners.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          What about those who got a well-supported card (ie r600g not radeonsi)?
          I have a HD6870 and it works fine with the radeon driver, TF2 and L4D2 work without a problem, waiting for Metro:LL to be playable.

Originally posted by asdfblah
          Which means they are using the r600/radeonsi drivers as a reference to port the driver to another OS or to create their own implementation, because it is an open source driver. In the same sense, the AMD FOSS team or ANYONE could use yet another implementation as a reference, and that would help to improve or further develop the driver.
          You realize that the PS4 is already released, they have already a working driver implementation and I seriously doubt that the driver was written by anybody else than AMD.
          Originally posted by asdfblah
          If you don't see it this way, I don't understand why you are in this forum at all.
          Of course I see it that way, nonetheless the PS4 is still not relevant for this topic: different kernel, different driver, different graphics subsystem.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            That's a self fulfilling prophecy, as low sales imply it's harder for them to improve drivers, and by your logic if their drivers don't improve, they'll keep having low sales.
            That's a good one! Well, you can continue being shafted and continue to pay to stop the shafting

Comment

Look at this list of open source projects:
              Read our research related to top 10 Android libraries for 2017 and learn more about Android open source libraries preferred by best developer teams over the globe. Also, discover how to choose an appropriate GitHub open source project.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

Even if they did that, the opensource driver would not support OpenGL 4.x with high performance by the time Steam Machines ship.

It's funny how AMD Catalyst was basicly a trainwreck for a decade and now I wouldn't be suprrised if they fix the major problems in no time because they are finally pressured to improve it.
                I'm sorry to say that, sir, but time has proven you to be incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by giorgio View Post
                  Look at this list of open source projects:
                  Can you update this list? because that is too old now

Comment

Working...
                  X