The GNU's RPG Game Engine Is Of Very Poor Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richiehh View Post
    Why bother? it's too little, too late, it's behind the times and, well, it's rubbish. I realise a lot of "serious RPGers will claim its 2d goodness means "more real" but that's blatantly nonsense in this day and age. There are already numerous engines out there which totally eclipse this effort. Someone hasn't got April 1st mixed up have they?
    2D RPG has a lot more to offer (to RPGs, that is) than modern RPG-wannabe FPSs we have today. However, having some actually decent RPG engines in the open, I don't see the need for this stagnant project.

Comment

I realise a lot of "serious RPGers will claim its 2d goodness means "more real" but that's blatantly nonsense in this day and age.
      If you say so...

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Seriously, I you want to make RPGs, or any kind of 2D game, just use l?ve. No point in reinventing the wheel.
        I enjoyed using love2d to create a small game, but it is a bad idea to create any game for Linux with it because you can?t distribute a binary that works everywhere, and different distros have different incompatible versions of love2d :-(.

Also? I don?t think this article is a nice way to motivate the Rpge developer(s)?

Comment

Why bother? it's too little, too late, it's behind the times and, well, it's rubbish. I realise a lot of "serious RPGers will claim its 2d goodness means "more real" but that's blatantly nonsense in this day and age. There are already numerous engines out there which totally eclipse this effort. Someone hasn't got April 1st mixed up have they?
          A good RPG is determined by a good character development system, a good story and a good battle system. If those play well together it doesn't matter if a game is 2D or 3D. If you only play RPGs if they look like Skyrim you are missing a large number of good games.

Anyways, this looks like something that you can do in 1-2 days with Pygame or L?ve.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            I enjoyed using love2d to create a small game, but it is a bad idea to create any game for Linux with it because you can?t distribute a binary that works everywhere, and different distros have different incompatible versions of love2d :-(.
            That's true for almost any way to make a game; Linux is not exactly the land of binary compatibility. The only exception I know of is the Steam Runtime. You can link to them, and as long as the users download it, your game will run. Otherwise, you'll have to provide builds for every distro and version you want to support.

Also? I don?t think this article is a nice way to motivate the Rpge developer(s)?
            I don't think they need any motivation, really, they don't seem interested anymore. And that's not a problem; I'd be sorry if there weren't any GPL engines aiming to run the same kind of games, all of them apparently more advanced, but as things are, it'd be far better that they just help the others and drop that engine to bugfixes only (for any game that could currently use it).

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              That's true for almost any way to make a game; Linux is not exactly the land of binary compatibility. The only exception I know of is the Steam Runtime. You can link to them, and as long as the users download it, your game will run. Otherwise, you'll have to provide builds for every distro and version you want to support.
              There is also, you know, bundling libraries with the game. Like it was always done before Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                There is also, you know, bundling libraries with the game. Like it was always done before Steam.
                Yes, that option exist. But it also exists with Love.

Comment

So there you go, stqn's problem should be solved.

Comment

Right, I guess that?s possible, if it?s possible for C/SDL/OpenGL/? games. But the love2d web site says ? there is no way to do it ?, and only explains how to release binaries for Windows and OSX (very easily).

Comment

Working...
                    X