Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Red Hat & CentOS Partner Up

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,395

    Default Red Hat & CentOS Partner Up

    Phoronix: Red Hat & CentOS Partner Up

    Well, this was unexpected. Red Hat and CentOS have joined forces to "build a new CentOS, capable of driving forward development and adoption of next-generation open source technologies." CentOS will continue living on as a RHEL community project alongside Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2MzM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    674

    Default

    PR bullshit aside, what is Red Hat really doing with this move?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    PR bullshit aside, what is Red Hat really doing with this move?
    I find the FAQ pretty comprehensive but here is my perspective

    Red Hat has just acquired CentOS and hired some of the CentOS contributors to work on CentOS full time as part of that. They are positoning CentOS as a middle ground between enterprise, commercial RHEL and community, leading edge Fedora. The primary motivation appears to be to build on CentOS, expand the market and provide CentOS variants for other technologies like OpenStack.

    http://community.redhat.com/centos-f...ants_in_action

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    I find the FAQ pretty comprehensive but here is my perspective

    Red Hat has just acquired CentOS and hired some of the CentOS contributors to work on CentOS full time as part of that. They are positoning CentOS as a middle ground between enterprise, commercial RHEL and community, leading edge Fedora. The primary motivation appears to be to build on CentOS, expand the market and provide CentOS variants for other technologies like OpenStack.

    http://community.redhat.com/centos-f...ants_in_action
    I was thinking that a potential motive would be for CentOS to be a hiring ground for future employees to Red Hat or something.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    PR bullshit aside, what is Red Hat really doing with this move?
    I guess this is a kind of a 'freemium' model. Fedora is not a drop-in replacement for RHEL. However CentOS can serve as the free tier, and when you want additional, non-free features you'll have to upgrade to RHEL. To me it seems like a good business model, both for Red Hat and its customers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amehaye View Post
    I guess this is a kind of a 'freemium' model. Fedora is not a drop-in replacement for RHEL. However CentOS can serve as the free tier, and when you want additional, non-free features you'll have to upgrade to RHEL. To me it seems like a good business model, both for Red Hat and its customers.
    No its not. Freemium = Crippleware.
    If RH tries to cripple future releases of CentOS, that (apart from the fact that one can always create new distro) is a major trouble.
    And it can, because they have 6 out of 11 on the board - wolf and sheep party? I already expect CentOS install numbers to sink.


    Also, this news have already pop-uped on phoronix
    .

    I hold it for a bad, bad news. In fact, CentOS folks were always better on their own. This is despite that I love RH.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    No its not. Freemium = Crippleware.
    If RH tries to cripple future releases of CentOS, that (apart from the fact that one can always create new distro) is a major trouble.
    And it can, because they have 6 out of 11 on the board - wolf and sheep party? I already expect CentOS install numbers to sink.


    Also, this news have already pop-uped on phoronix
    .

    I hold it for a bad, bad news. In fact, CentOS folks were always better on their own. This is despite that I love RH.
    The migration costs (next to 0) to go from CentOS to 'a real server OS with support' would be a win-win for RH Sales. And there's the mindshare. People knowing CentOS can be 'upgraded' to RHEL gives that extra piece of confidence. How CentOS will fare is one for the RH and CentOS commanders to know, and we'll find out.

    And you have, how many years of support on the current CentOS to migrate away if they play silly buggers?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amehaye View Post
    I guess this is a kind of a 'freemium' model. Fedora is not a drop-in replacement for RHEL. However CentOS can serve as the free tier, and when you want additional, non-free features you'll have to upgrade to RHEL. To me it seems like a good business model, both for Red Hat and its customers.
    I see it more as CentOS --> RHEL without professional support just as Fedora --> RHEL testbed

    Now it remains to be seen whether this decision will end up cannibalizing Red Hat's subscription revenue.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,394

    Default

    Yea, for me it seems that now CentOS will get the source of RHEL delivered directly and some of the developers paid by Red Hat, while Red Hat will get the majority of the board. And with variants, CentOS will have different flavours depending on the updated software component (from those relevant to RHEL) one wants to use. For Red Hat that's more testers and faster work on those software components, as well as another place apart from Fedora they can base their own work on, and for CentOS that's more flexibility.

    And no, CentOS isn't upgradable to RHEL, you need to do a clean install.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    PR bullshit aside, what is Red Hat really doing with this move?
    Sounds like RedHat are going to help CentOS provide a cutting-edge virtualization stack. I assume this is to get CentOS users hooked on virtualization so that RedHat can sell them support contracts when they realize that trying to do it using a community supported distro is too difficult.

    From the FAQ: http://community.redhat.com/centos-f...ans_for_centos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •