Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest Benchmarks Of The Linux 3.13 Kernel

Phoronix: The Latest Benchmarks Of The Linux 3.13 Kernel

While there's already been many performance benchmarks of the Linux 3.13 kernel on Phoronix through numerous articles, following this weekend's release of Linux 3.13-rc7, I ran a fresh performance comparison...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought the new multiqueue block layer should have "greatly increase[d] the performance of the kernel's storage subsystem with fast devices" (source). But it's RC7 and all we've got are regressions? I think I'll stay with 3.12 for a while...

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
      I thought the new multiqueue block layer should have "greatly increase[d] the performance of the kernel's storage subsystem with fast devices" (source). But it's RC7 and all we've got are regressions? I think I'll stay with 3.12 for a while...
      2 points:

1) Regressions are bugs, they will be fixed in due time.
      2) A few users here on the forums have stated that while they haven't seen actual speed-ups in transfer speeds or the likes, they have seen a notable improvement in responsiveness under I/O load.*

*In case you didn't know, or if anyone reading this doesn't know, one of Linux' most long standing, annoying, and unsolved problems has always been that under heavy I/O load the entire system seems to deadlock, meanwhile Windows and Mac (while they do slow down) remain fairly usable and don't appear to be 'frozen.'

So even if this doesn't actually give us speed-ups, if this helps the responsiveness issue by taking the load off of the first core exclusively then the new multiqueue block layer is already a massive improvement
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        2 points:

1) Regressions are bugs, they will be fixed in due time.
        2) A few users here on the forums have stated that while they haven't seen actual speed-ups in transfer speeds or the likes, they have seen a notable improvement in responsiveness under I/O load.*

*In case you didn't know, or if anyone reading this doesn't know, one of Linux' most long standing, annoying, and unsolved problems has always been that under heavy I/O load the entire system seems to deadlock, meanwhile Windows and Mac (while they do slow down) remain fairly usable and don't appear to be 'frozen.'

So even if this doesn't actually give us speed-ups, if this helps the responsiveness issue by taking the load off of the first core exclusively then the new multiqueue block layer is already a massive improvement
        Regressions have not always been solved during the kernel cycle, but sometimes it took 2-3 kernel later to get those regressions fixed.
        The performance penalty here, looking at those benchmark seems quite huge.
        It should be a top priority to solve a bug of this size.

Particularly considering that kernel 3.13 will be the kernel next Ubuntu LTS (and all the derivatives) will be shipping with.

Comment

While I'm glad about the reported "notable improvement in responsiveness under I/O load", I hope it doesn't take too long to fix the regressions. These in particular are not new to rc7 and have been around for a while.

Comment

Working...
          X