Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KMS Drivers Break The Console In FreeBSD 10

Phoronix: KMS Drivers Break The Console In FreeBSD 10

While FreeBSD 10.0 is exciting for finally having an AMD Radeon DRM/KMS driver as one of the major features of the new OS, the quality isn't yet on par with the open-source graphics support found on Linux from where the code was originally ported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The fact that our console driver doesn't work with KMS isn't new: this is already the case in FreeBSD 9, when using an Intel video card and the associated "i915kms" kernel driver.

Comment

I remember they talked about it in the first episode of BSDNow and the new console project.

Comment

To me, this totally doesn't matter because when I tried installing FreeBSD 10 on my laptop today, I couldn't get the Intel KMS driver working anyway. Really needs more documentation, the handbook is useless if you are using FreeBSD 10 rather than 9.x or earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          To me, this totally doesn't matter because when I tried installing FreeBSD 10 on my laptop today, I couldn't get the Intel KMS driver working anyway. Really needs more documentation, the handbook is useless if you are using FreeBSD 10 rather than 9.x or earlier.
          What went wrong? This page: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics should have all the information you need to get it up and running. I happen to know about that page so I'm not sure if it's well signposted.

In any case, once I get a new hard disk I'll be happily installing FreeBSD on my desktop again!

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            When you have troubles, please post on the freebsd-x11@ mailing-list or the #freebsd-xorg IRC channel (on EFnet), so we can help you.

Comment

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
              No ones crazy enough to go that place. It's full of trolls

I notice that you are a FreeBSD X11 developer. Do you know how sad your life is?
              Haha... Says the guy with multiple, endless accounts ('CthuIhux', 'kraftman', 'Pawlerson', 'endman', 'BSDSucksDicks', 'LinuxAnalsBSD', etc, etc), created for the sole purpose of trolling BSD.
              Says the guy that created http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com, where he also created lots of accounts just to make incredibly stupid comments, answering himself pretending to be other people.

Man, any life compared to yours is paradise...

Comment

Working...
              X