Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like Ubuntu's First Phone Might Be For China

Phoronix: It Looks Like Ubuntu's First Phone Might Be For China

It looks like the first official Ubuntu Phone may have been outed this weekend just ahead of the Consumer Electronics Show this coming week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was skeptic. I'll still be until it's realized.
    Anyway, congrats to Canonical on their (possible) first phone.

Comment

I've tried Ubuntu Touch 13.10 on a Nexus 4 in October. It was obviously unfinished and buggy, but I liked the overall look and interface, the way you switch between tasks and the few applications that were avaible so far. Overall quite impressive given the short timeframe. I bet Ubuntu Touch 14.04 will be somewhat usable as a daily driver and Ubuntu Touch 14.10 should be ready for mass consumption.

Comment

There is also one thing that "earth grouded American/European" observers/fans wont suspect.

Ubuntu in China actually sell. Like in "Lets make sale offices for our PC's with Ubuntu there, and with trained staff." And it works not only for Dell that way.

So however misserable we may be due to lack of mainstream preloaded Linux business in English speaking part of the world. In China its not a problem.

(And since its China, its hidden from most EU or god forbid USA based observers)

Comment

If it's a set of phones and there's a horizontal keyboard slider variant then I'll import one! I gotta check out Ubuntu Touch in some emulator/VM soon. I may finally find a UMPC replacement for my OQO slider.

Comment

How big a brand is Meizu in china? Are they a big household brand over there? Does this fit Marks "We are now pretty much at the board level on four household brands. They sell a lot of phones all over the world, in emerging and fully emerged markets, to businesses and consumers"

Comment

Meizu is good stuff

Don't be fooled by Chinese companies that you never heard of before.

Companies like Meizu (and Xiaomi) are huge in China.
              Meizu makes some really great phones and is the only company who have a phone with 128 GB storage.

Comment

The best and logical choice for Canonical

China is just the best and more logical choice for Canonical since Ubuntu Kylin became the official OS in this country. Specs are pretty cool, above all for the capacity of the storage and the octa-core processor. I'm looking forward to buy this device. Good job Canonical!

Comment

Originally posted by tacco View Post
                  China is just the best and more logical choice for Canonical since Ubuntu Kylin became the official OS in this country. Specs are pretty cool, above all for the capacity of the storage and the octa-core processor. I'm looking forward to buy this device. Good job Canonical!
                  Yes. Plus, a lot of people in the US and Europe look down on China. Now, the question is when, not if, they'll become the first economy. So, politics aside (not that they don't matter, but Phoronix is not the place IMHO), this could be a huge deal.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                    Yes. Plus, a lot of people in the US and Europe look down on China. Now, the question is when, not if, they'll become the first economy. So, politics aside (not that they don't matter, but Phoronix is not the place IMHO), this could be a huge deal.

That's should happen in 2016 from what i read! They are quite close to be the first economy of the world.
                    Last edited by tacco; 05 January 2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X