Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-BSD 10.0 RC3 Improves Hybrid Graphics Support

Phoronix: PC-BSD 10.0 RC3 Improves Hybrid Graphics Support

There's a new development release out of the upcoming PC-BSD 10.0 operating system release that shares most of its changes with upstream FreeBSD 10.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But nothing's changed in BSD

Comment

This changes nothing.

Proprietary, non-free, bug-ridden, NSA rigged Nvidia drivers are still the only choice for FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD. Pretty much everything else sucks.

Intel: BSD always had terrible support. Now with KMS added, they screwed it up even more. If you an intel card that supports KMS, you have to compile all of xorg from source or it will give a “Number of screens does not match” error. Their KMS implementation also causes the console to go blank and to use it, the kms kernel module has to be unloaded but this causes the kernel to crash. see: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU

AMD Radeon: BSD only supports 2D acceleration. Xorg hangs after 1 hour and only Radoen cards from the early 2000s are supported. With AMD KMS, AMD Redeon is expected to become as unusable as Intel is now.

Nouveau: Part of BSD’s agreement with Nvidia is that BSD would never allow their users to run Nouveau. Watch how OpenBSD developer and flaming troll Marc Esple abuse a developer trying to port Nouveau to OpenBSD: http://openbsd.7691.n7.nabble.com/no...-td235541.html

Comment

Originally posted by beetreetime View Post
        This changes nothing.

Proprietary, non-free, bug-ridden, NSA rigged Nvidia drivers are still the only choice for FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD. Pretty much everything else sucks.

Intel: BSD always had terrible support. Now with KMS added, they screwed it up even more. If you an intel card that supports KMS, you have to compile all of xorg from source or it will give a ?Number of screens does not match? error. Their KMS implementation also causes the console to go blank and to use it, the kms kernel module has to be unloaded but this causes the kernel to crash. see: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU

AMD Radeon: BSD only supports 2D acceleration. Xorg hangs after 1 hour and only Radoen cards from the early 2000s are supported. With AMD KMS, AMD Redeon is expected to become as unusable as Intel is now.

Nouveau: Part of BSD?s agreement with Nvidia is that BSD would never allow their users to run Nouveau. Watch how OpenBSD developer and flaming troll Marc Esple abuse a developer trying to port Nouveau to OpenBSD: http://openbsd.7691.n7.nabble.com/no...-td235541.html
        Hey there, 'beetreetime' (a.k.a 'Pawlerson', a.k.a 'kraftman', a.k.a 'endman', a.k.a 'doggobot', a.k.a 'BSDSucksDicks', a.k.a 'LinuxAnalsBSD', etc, etc).
        Please tell us more about how your life is sucking; it does not cease to surprise me. Get a life, loser.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio
          Hey there, 'beetreetime' (a.k.a 'Pawlerson', a.k.a 'kraftman', a.k.a 'endman', a.k.a 'doggobot', a.k.a 'BSDSucksDicks', a.k.a 'LinuxAnalsBSD', etc, etc).
          Please tell us more about how your life is sucking; it does not cease to surprise me. Get a life, loser.
          Please read this article.

Also, I'm not associated Pawlerson, kraftman etc.. this is the first time I hear of these names.
          Last edited by beetreetime; 06 January 2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

They'll iron out the issues along the way.

Comment

Also, I'm not associated Pawlerson, kraftman etc.. this is the first time I hear of these names.
              I doubt it, I recognise the broken grammar, you're the same guy.

Comment

You've got issues, loser.

Comment

Nouveau: Part of BSD?s agreement with Nvidia is that BSD would never allow their users to run Nouveau. Watch how OpenBSD developer and flaming troll Marc Esple abuse a developer trying to port Nouveau to OpenBSD: http://openbsd.7691.n7.nabble.com/no...-td235541.html
                  One big issue there beetreetime: OpenBSD and FreeBSD are seperate projects! OpenBSD is very much opposed to binary blobs (and as such their kernel ABI is much too unstable for binary drivers anyway) and have never had a binary nViDiA driver.

Furthermore your claim that 'BSD' (which BSD? FreeBSD? Or some mythical BSD Overlord who controls all BSDs?) done a deal with nViDiA to never allow running Nouveau is laughable at best, and extremely disturbing at worst (how can someone honestly believe such a load of crap they cooked up in their own head?).

Your other claims are also (for the most part) baseless and totally unsubstantiated. There is some truth in your claims regarding the Intel KMS driver, but that's been solved already in FreeBSD-CURRENT with NEWCONS.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDdue
                    They'll iron out the issues along the way.
                    They were doing that since 1993. Nothing’s changed. In fact, I think things have gotten worse.

First Free and Open driver work poorly and now they almost don’t work.

Comment

Working...
                    X