Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Trolling? The Linux Kernel In Perl

Phoronix: Latest Trolling? The Linux Kernel In Perl

For those in need of some light reading this weekend, the latest comical proposal hitting the Linux kernel mailing list is to have a new project writing portions of the kernel in the Perl programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

An obvious troll, a Finnish person can't write English that bad.

Comment

Just what I was gonna say too. No Finnish uni student has that bad English, that's Google Translated.

Comment

yet another great one to follow I anticipate rise in popcorn prices around the world

Comment

Wants to rewrite kernel in Perl, yet never used Gentoo

Kernel A can't be upgraded to A+1, because kernel A+1 depends on Perl version B+1.
          Perl version B can't be upgraded to version B+1, because currently used Kernel A does not support Perl version B+1.

Do you want to destroy the system via force install Kernel A+1 and Perl version B+1? (Y/n)

Welcome to circular dependency hell.

Comment

What makes it far more obvious he's trolling is that he tries to rewrite fractions of a kernel he acknowledges is big (and big ALWAYS means harder to understand), instead of trying the concept with something simpler, like a microkernel. Minix up to version 2, for example, was designed for teaching kernels, that's a good one to try new concepts.

Comment

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." ;DD I guess this guy feels like that^^

Comment

Yeah right, a student taking a beginner course in Perl is capable or rewriting parts of the Linux kernel in it. Because a OS kernel is so easy to make, you know...

If anything the Linux kernel needs more code optimizing, reducing the overhead of task switching and scheduling.

Comment

All that trolling aside, may be it is not so bad to have a interpreted language support in kernel level. Not a fully featured language but a subset of python or other language may be? or may be a C scripting? It would be good for debug and quick testing? Or writing kernel modules without recompiling it fully(driver or subsystem is not performance oriented). I am not sure about even if it is possible or feasible but was just thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." ;DD I guess this guy feels like that^^
                    They didn't ignore him, I've seen two serious answers. None of them laughing at the guy, none of them fighting him.
                    Still, I'm sure the guy is a troll, not a serious person trying to start a hobby/experimental project. If that was the case, he would probably not be trying to make it upstream until the concept is proven.

Comment

Working...
                    X