Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose the right graphics card

Hello,

I am looking to buy a better card than the one i currently have (nVidia 8500 512 Mb Ram). The new card I want to get should be able to play the following list of games in max setting without lag/or what ever issue:

- Crysis
    - Unreal Tournament 3
    - Time Shift
    - Assassins Creed
    - Call of Duty 4
    - World of WarCraft

This is my computer Specs:

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 (Each core runs at 2.40 Ghz)
    RAM: 4 Gb
    Screen Res: 1680x1050

The card i am interested in getting is called : Sapphire Technology ATI RADEON HD 3870 TOXIC 512MB

Is this card adequate for the game i am trying to pay at high setting?

Some of the other cards im interested in is these three :

- nVidia 9800 GT
    - nVidia 8800 Ultra
    - ATI 2900 PRO/XT

What do you think?

Originally posted by Ment View Post
    Hello,

I am looking to buy a better card than the one i currently have (nVidia 8500 512 Mb Ram). The new card I want to get should be able to play the following list of games in max setting without lag/or what ever issue:

- Crysis
    - Unreal Tournament 3
    - Time Shift
    - Assassins Creed
    - Call of Duty 4
    - World of WarCraft

This is my computer Specs:

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 (Each core runs at 2.40 Ghz)
    RAM: 4 Gb
    Screen Res: 1680x1050

The card i am interested in getting is called : Sapphire Technology ATI RADEON HD 3870 TOXIC 512MB

Is this card adequate for the game i am trying to pay at high setting?

Some of the other cards im interested in is these three :

- nVidia 9800 GT
    - nVidia 8800 Ultra
    - ATI 2900 PRO/XT

What do you think?
    Any of those cards should work fine with the exception of Crysis which will bring any card available right now to it's knees at max settings. (Although the 2900 Pro might be pushed a little hard on some of the titles you listed)

Comment

The 9800GT would be the better chioce for Windows gaming, followed by the HD3870. The HD2900XT is a bit slower than the HD3870, and the 8800Ultra, while faster than both, is too expensive (around here at least) for the type of performance it gives (similar to the 9800GT).
      As for Linux, I don't know how well the 9xxx series cards are supported with current drivers, and the latest beta has less than spectacular performance. I know for a fact that the HD cards are well supported with the latest fglrx. Of course, fglrx has "issues" that you may not want to deal with.

Comment

I would use the same card as I have got: 8800 GTS 512 as it is only a bit slower (5% or so) than the new 9800 GTX and has the same chip.

Comment

8800 GTX with 768 MB GDDR3 or wait one-two months for the AMD Radeon HD 4870 (my recommendation).

Comment

I would not buy the old GTX because this is the older chip. G92 is the new one with newer video accelleration (at least for Win) and it takes less power. Same for the GTS 320/640 cards, only GTS 512 has the new chip.

Comment

Less power

How much money would you have to pay with the 8800 GTX? 5? more when running 24/7/365?

I don't think that video acceleration is a big argument for this type of card.

It has 768 MB GDDR3 which makes a great difference in future games or resolutions like 1600x1200 and above (and/or with AntiAliasing). It is cheaper, too.

Comment

I suggest going with the Radeon HD 3870 since it is supported by linux and is under $200 (USD).., the only note on this chip is that you need to pick one that uses Gddr4 memory ( unless you get 3870X2 ) ... and on a small note the 3870 from some reviews should be able to do 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF on high when playing crysis, however it'll only be around 22fps. ( using the Powercolor 3870 512mb SC3 card)

and on a small note, why not wait 2 months and see how the next generation of Video cards to come out and are reviewed.

Comment

Of course use a Windows game like Crysis to choose best Linux hardware, the most stupid thing to do...

Comment

Kano, it can't be helped... it's all about where the biggest market share is and sadly the highly monopolistic Company that controls most of the market is what dictates where software goes, because to many companies linux is just a fad and won't last, even though it's clearly a better choice for many reasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X