Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Gizmosphere Support Comes To Coreboot

Phoronix: AMD Gizmosphere Support Comes To Coreboot

There's now mainline Coreboot support for the Gizmo AMD APU development board...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is like a neat x86 analog to the Raspberry Pi.

And cudos to AMD for all their coreboot support, they are like the only major chipset manufacturer not shoving binary blob drivel mainboard firmware down our necks without option.

Comment

Certainly much better than Intel's alternative, but still 2x overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Certainly much better than Intel's alternative, but still 2x overpriced.
        Well, looking at it, it is expensive, but it does offer improvements over what you can usually get in the ARM department - the Ethernet appears to be Gigabit (I have the Wandboard which is actually "only" 480 MBit/s), with Coreboot and Linux (which you can choose nearly freely because of the x86 processor) so it is highly customizable and AMD graphics which is about 1000% better than anything you should be able to get in the ARM department now - drivers that work for every kernel when using the radeon driver. It also offers 2 USB ports and SATA without an expansion. It surely has its downsides - I'd mainly say lack of a digital video connection. All in all it is not cheap, but you buy a lot of comfort and flexibility compared to the tailored distributions you get for ARM nowadays where you can be glad if you get kernel updates, depending on your device.

Comment

You can get E-450 (and probably the newer E2-*) mini-itx boards in similar configs for <100$. That's a more powerful apu.

The smaller form factor is not worth a 100$ premium, they are only getting away with it because Intel charges the same.

Comment

A mini-itx-board is something else entirely. This one offers, for example, JTAG, so the audiences are completely different, and the one for a device like the gizmosphere is much smaller, so prices are naturally higher.

Comment

Smaller runs can only explain a part of it. The cost of a JTAG chip in single quantities is around 10$ on aliexpress. Some GPIO traces - a few cents.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Smaller runs can only explain a part of it. The cost of a JTAG chip in single quantities is around 10$ on aliexpress. Some GPIO traces - a few cents.
                I didn't mean the actual cost of the JTAG chip, more that there are few people who actually need an x86 development board so the run is smaller. I bought (or got bought by my university) a weaker dev board (the one I'm talking about was by Atmel, awesome stuff) that actually cost more. Yes, it was about 3 years ago, but a development board is always more expensive than consumer stuff when you compare their core components.

I am certainly not in the audience for this thing - not developing hardware - but I can definitely see the use, and the price is in range of most budgets.

Comment

I agree that it's too expensive. For $178 you can get an Intel NUC with 2 GB ram (double that of this board), and you can expand with more RAM later, if necessary.

Buy Intel NUC Kit DCCP847DYE Intel QS77 2 x 204Pin Celeron 847 1.1GHz with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy Team 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model TSD32048M1066C7-E with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Originally posted by runeks View Post
                    I agree that it's too expensive. For $178 you can get an Intel NUC with 2 GB ram (double that of this board), and you can expand with more RAM later, if necessary.
                    But does it work with Coreboot?

Comment

Working...
                    X