Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.10 vs. Fedora 20 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 vs. Fedora 20 Benchmarks

To complement the many Ubuntu 13.10 Linux benchmarks I have published on Phoronix since the "Saucy Salamander" premiere in October, I've started several Fedora 20 benchmarks since December. So far I've shared Fedora 19 vs. Fedora 20 benchmarks and Wayland OpenGL benchmarks, besides using Fedora 20 as the base platform for unrelated tests, while today are some Ubuntu 13.10 vs. Fedora 20 performance benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora 20 also upgrade's to Mesa 10.1. so you get Kernel 13.12 and, Mesa 10.1 just from upgrades.

Comment

Mesa 10

From what I can see, Mesa 10 has not been built for Fedora 20 yet.

It is at Mesa 9.2.5

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
        Fedora 20 also upgrade's to Mesa 10.1. so you get Kernel 13.12 and, Mesa 10.1 just from upgrades.
        hmm I have here got kernel 3.12 (not 13.12 ^^) yes, but I dont got Mesa 10.x yet, not even in testing Mesa 10 is.

I think it will come and hope it, but till now nothing on the horrizont.

Comment

I just switched to Fedora 20 few days ago after years of using Ubuntu and I can say Fedora is now far more polished than Ubuntu. Is Canonical spending too much of their resources on Unity and Mir instead of polishing the OS?

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            Fedora 20 will get the latest kernel until its EOL'ed in year's time (One month after F22 release).
            However, its very unlikely that it will ever receive Mesa 10.x.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Fedora 20 was delivering better AIO-Stress disk performance on both systems over Ubuntu 13.10, even though both operating systems were using the EXT4 file-system.
              Yes, but they're using different schedulers.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                Fedora 20 will get the latest kernel until its EOL'ed in year's time (One month after F22 release).
                However, its very unlikely that it will ever receive Mesa 10.x.

- Gilboa
                Though it was just some bugs blocking 3.13. Did they change their policy regarding kernels? Used to get a new version shortly after 3.xx.1 in F18/19.

Comment

In the few areas where the two distros did differ notably (various I/O tests), how do these compare with previous versions of the same distros? I seem to recall this being a point of difference between Fedora and Ubuntu in previous versions too...

Comment

@Michael

Too bad you didn't benchmark responsiveness. Fedora is using 1000Hz kernel while Ubuntu is using 250Hz. It could have some impact on games.

Comment

Working...
                    X