Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fedora's Yum Replacement Ready For User Testing

yum remove kernel is quite handy: I can remove every backup kernel, minus the running one. That's great when you know your kernel is working.

For the rest, I'm already using dnf/hawkey and friends. They do the same thing as yum, but ~10x faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    yum remove kernel is quite handy: I can remove every backup kernel, minus the running one. That's great when you know your kernel is working.
    Under dnf 'dnf remove kernel' would probably remove ALL kernels, including the running one. Or maybe just erase would do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    While I don't necessarily agree or disagree that you should not be able to remove dnf itself or the kernel... One of the devs make a valid point on the mailing list in rebuttal: If they're installing packages they already have root. If they already have root then there's also no protection against them accidentally doing rm -rf /boot or /usr or /etc or /bin or even more hilariously...

sudo rm -rf ~ /bin

(note the space), that would probably wipe out their entire home directory AND /bin, which depending on rm's code might either just wipe out the symlink, or it might follow the symlink and rip its way through /usr/bin/.

The point being: if you've got root you have the ability to screw shit up, same old story as ever.
    Well, we all remember what the welcoming line is after installing 'sudo' - 'with great power comes great responsibility'

Been using dnf instead of yum since installing Fedora 20, and I am pleasantly surprised by the massive speed gain. Kudos to the developers

Any way to set yumex or the new software thing in Fedora to execute dnf?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Any way to set yumex or the new software thing in Fedora to execute dnf?
    yumex is very much tied to the current yum api but GNOME Software can use the same libraries that dnf uses

https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2013...-in-fedora-20/

It will become the default backend for GNOME Software for Fedora 21. Fedora 22 is expected to switch over to dnf